Wi cutting back doe tags

D

dipper

I scanned over the number of doe tags available for this year. What was it like waupaca has 7700. Portage 2700 shawano 8000. That seem low. Wasn't the kill usually 10000 in waupaca?
I didn't reAd the details but you can only buy 1 tag a day? They are forcing any responsible manager into dmap. Tags $12. I want to kill 40 again. That's $480! I know I'm not paying that.

Remember dipper, those are just "bonus"(i.e. extra) antlerless tags that are available in those units. You still get the one free "Farmland Zone " antlerless tag with your license that is valid in all Farmland Zones(at least for this year), although this may change in the future. So that is 7700, 2700, and 8000 in addition to the one per hunting license sold to all folks hunting in those counties. Killing 40 deer, well that's a different story altogether. In those instances(you and NoFo come to mind), you may be right, you may be forced into DMAP to achieve those kill numbers. You could always try to get ag tags. If you take ag tags without taking any crop damage money you would be fine, I think if you don't accept money you don't have to allow public access to the property claiming damages(at least that is how I read it?). The 1 tag per day per person is to ensure that anyone who wants a tag in a county with few tags will have an opportunity to get one. On the public lands in the county I hunt, they are only giving out 50 tags total and the free Farmland tags are useless to us, they don't count because we are in the Central Forest Zone.

Last edited:
Dipper,

Why not go into DMAP? I not saying you should. I'm asking why you don't.

So far, a whopping 120 landowners have signed up statewide. I do not see any advantage to it. 8 of us already get 16 "free" doe tags. I don't need any habitat advice from a UWSP newbie greenhorn. If I need that my Son just graduated form minnesota with a conservation Bio degree and is getting his Phd. Name one benefit to me? Giving the DNR carte blanche permission to walk my property and do trailcam surveys is not one btw.

If you have the doe tags you want I understand. But Dipper wants 40 doe tags and the way I understand it this would be a way for him to get them.

I am getting ag tags, got them last year. I am going to hit them hard again this year. We shot 44 last year, and not one nub buck. I still had 60 on one bean field before Christmas. Plus more in different areas of the farm.
The results from last year are obvious. I had 7 year old plum trees sitting idle at the top of 4 year tree tubes for a couple years. This year they made it out and now over the browse line!!! That's a huge step for me. There has also been a drastic antler increase from last year, but I doubt that is directly related to population. At least not to the degree I'm seeing.

So only 120 land owners. This has to be considered a total flop this first year.

Crazy how you are going to shoot 40 does and I am considering if I want to take one or not this year. And I am not that far north of you.

Crazy how you are going to shoot 40 does and I am considering if I want to take one or not this year. And I am not that far north of you.

And I am only a few miles away from you and there are no tags at all.

And I am only a few miles away from you and there are no tags at all.

Very Very true.

Some, if not many of the high deer numbers in an area area created by what we are doing with our habitat and food plots. I'll bet dipper has higher deer numbers in fall and winter because of his work, and lack of food in other areas. I think he has said as much. I know our count is up Sept thru Dec. We know we pull deer from a loooooong ways. When we first started food plotting we had enough food for the "local" deer. As we have upgraded our habitat and deer numbers increased in the fall we ran out of food for a couple of years. Since getting away from beans and corn, we have been able to provide food almost 365 days a year. With our learned food plotting agenda, mostly due to LC we are providing enough food for whatever deer come around. All of this said, we have taken a couple of does thru the years, but have never come close to having to many. We have to remember that each of our areas is different then others.

So far, a whopping 120 landowners have signed up statewide. I do not see any advantage to it. 8 of us already get 16 "free" doe tags. I don't need any habitat advice from a UWSP newbie greenhorn. If I need that my Son just graduated form minnesota with a conservation Bio degree and is getting his Phd. Name one benefit to me? Giving the DNR carte blanche permission to walk my property and do trailcam surveys is not one btw.

The minute I saw that DMAP allowed DNR unlimited access to your property ... dropped it from consideration completely.

"Sweetie, I'm really feeling sick again this morning." And 9 months from then it's friggin November.

Here lies the reason I'll be missing bow season this year :(

My wife never wants me to admit it publically but I feel safe on here. We planned our children's births to not be in fall.

That's a You problem. My kids bdays are 6/22 and 6/25. Jan/Feb breeding makes for Oct/Nov birthdays and births, not happening. That's what soaps for.:)
Not all of us live in Cali. It was a long winter here in the midwest ;). The term "baby boom" is being tossed around.

My wife never wants me to admit it publically but I feel safe on here. We planned our children's births to not be in fall.
My wife wanted a fall wedding and at the time I was heavy into waterfowl hunting, she was told it had to be before the WI duck opener on Oct 1st or it would wait until December. We were married on Sept 26th.;)

We planned our wedding and births to not interfere with fall hunting or even the occasional elk trip in September. I learned from a buddy who elk hunted a couple of times with us. He had an anniversary and kid birthdays right in elk rut prime time. His wife bitched every time we went west.