Why no factory 4wd cargo vans?

Tap

5 year old buck +
Okay, I'll contribute something to this new section...
Why is it that no automobile manufactures offer factory 4WD cargo vans?
I'm totally convinced that there is a solid market for a factory version of them.

1 market that's a no-brainer is for contractors. Plumbers, electricians and a bunch of other industries need to make house calls in winter weather. For a lot of these guys, a 4WD pick up truck just doesn't cut it like a van will. A truck with a cap isn't the same as a cargo van.

The other market, and why I really want one, is mostly for recreation. With a van, you can sleep in one, change clothes in one, stand up (sort-of) and move around in one, haul taller stuff in one that won't fit in a pick-up truck with a cap. A 4wd drive van is the ultimate travel/work vehicle.
I've seen quite a few after-market 4wd vans out in Washington State and I see an occasional one here in the east, but they are rare. I met a couple in Glacier a few years ago that had Ford E350 that they converted to an after market 4wd. It was laid-out SWEET! They had it set up so they could actually live in the thing so they sold their house and spent months on end traveling the country. I wouldn't sell my home, but for hunting, fishing, camping, hauling canoes, deer (and other stuff), I think a 4wd 3/4 ton van would be the ultimate.
The main problem is that 2wd vans suck for traction. The only reason I have a pick-up (with a cap) instead of a cargo van is for the 4 wheel drive.
The's a place in Pa called Quigley that will convert a van for about $12k. Someday, when I need my next truck, I'll probably go that route, but in the meanwhile... Why the hell doesn't Ford, Dodge, GM or someone offer a factory 4wd cargo van? Pet peeve of mine that bewilders me.

Funny you post this! I have always thought that! I have 4 young children and a van is a must when we do trips. We just sold a Honda oddessey mini van and purchased a lightly used 16 ford transit 350 yesterday! I would have def paid the extra for 4x4 had it been an option. This thing is actually pretty fun to drive! The 3.5 eco boost rips! Yeah buddy! Lol
0A86CF06-E910-4269-BAE0-3C14B7A94E36.jpeg
1EC0FE65-2641-4E97-BB89-489EF0BDCD08.jpeg

FYI i believe Toyota makes an all wheel drive van. Also benz makes a 4x4 sprinter but they are not cheap! We run a Benz sprinter at work and it’s finicky with filters. Always throwing check engine codes. Being a Benz their kinda pricey to maintain as well

Probably has to do with the cost to upgrade to 4x4 which starts at around $4000. We just bought a cargo van for work and they are a no frills ride.

If you really want something for long road trips and has 4-wheel drive, check out this... Earthroamer

If you really want something for long road trips and has 4-wheel drive, check out this... Earthroamer[/QUOTE]

That is awesome!

It would be a sweet option but they know they won't sell enough to be profitable.. if it don't make money, it don't make sense kinda thing. I'm a contractor and our cargo vans suck in snow but never stops a job. Then again when it's teens or under we don't do much, half our biz is roofing so there's less need of a 4x4 anyways. And as previously said, cargo vans are plain Jane. Not just for initial purchase but low maintenance cost are important for biz use, 4x4 is just more stuff to replace in a fleet vehicle.

For your use, it's a shame they stopped making the Ford excursion. It's the ultimate outdoors vehicle for us. Have driven across the country with a full size bed in the back . Big enough to pull the dump trailer or skid steer if I need it at camp. It basically is a cargo van if you take back seat out and fold down middle.

Okay, I'll contribute something to this new section...
Why is it that no automobile manufactures offer factory 4WD cargo vans?
I'm totally convinced that there is a solid market for a factory version of them.

1 market that's a no-brainer is for contractors. Plumbers, electricians and a bunch of other industries need to make house calls in winter weather. For a lot of these guys, a 4WD pick up truck just doesn't cut it like a van will. A truck with a cap isn't the same as a cargo van.

The other market, and why I really want one, is mostly for recreation. With a van, you can sleep in one, change clothes in one, stand up (sort-of) and move around in one, haul taller stuff in one that won't fit in a pick-up truck with a cap. A 4wd drive van is the ultimate travel/work vehicle.
I've seen quite a few after-market 4wd vans out in Washington State and I see an occasional one here in the east, but they are rare. I met a couple in Glacier a few years ago that had Ford E350 that they converted to an after market 4wd. It was laid-out SWEET! They had it set up so they could actually live in the thing so they sold their house and spent months on end traveling the country. I wouldn't sell my home, but for hunting, fishing, camping, hauling canoes, deer (and other stuff), I think a 4wd 3/4 ton van would be the ultimate.
The main problem is that 2wd vans suck for traction. The only reason I have a pick-up (with a cap) instead of a cargo van is for the 4 wheel drive.
The's a place in Pa called Quigley that will convert a van for about $12k. Someday, when I need my next truck, I'll probably go that route, but in the meanwhile... Why the hell doesn't Ford, Dodge, GM or someone offer a factory 4wd cargo van? Pet peeve of mine that bewilders me.

Man! I wish this was posted last week. Over the weekend I went to a large gun show and in the parking lot there was an older model cargo van that had a dual rear wheel set-up with locking hubs! We jokingly called it the red-neck creeper van!!! If this post would have been up then I would have gotten a picture.

As far as the actual real reply is concerned....niche markets are very, very difficult to be cost competitive these days from the large automotive companies. Niche markets and specialty vehicles are left to others. I work in the automotive world and it's all about the money and global platforms and the like....volume, volume, and more volume. Niche cars like hybrids and the like would not be here if it where not for the government offering incentive and financial support to develop them. Vans as a whole are a tough market in the OEM world.....some companies don't even make them any more. They instead switched to SUV's and cross-overs. Families are smaller and fuel efficiency is king these days.....both of which work against a market for a large four wheel drive vehicle to carry 6 to 8 of your closest drink'n buddies. Even large trucks (3/4 ton and larger) are being a difficult sale and market simply because of certain EPA regulations and the like. It takes a lot of power and fuel to get those things to move down the road. Remember the Ford Expeditions and GM Yukon's the like? Even the large SUV segment is shrinking as we speak, and it is even more significantly so on a global perspective. Vans are out there, but they are marketed as commercial vehicles for the most part anymore.

I am sure their is someone out there that will create these for you, but your going to pay a decent price....

https://sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/

I have a very steep driveway and if you have four wheel drive or all wheel drive then you can get up and down during the winter. Front wheel drive or rear wheel drive vehicles are going to need a tow up the drive. It's happened before so when people say they are coming over the first question I ask is do you have all wheel drive or four wheel drive? If they don't I usually say see you in the spring. So down the drive comes a FedX van with the drive being slick as heck, I asked him how he plans on getting back up the drive. He's in a van, he said that the van has four wheel drive. I couldn't believe it but he marched up that drive like nothing. So I guess they do make vans with 4x drive.

I remeber them when I was kid. Chevy had a 4 wheel drive van. Probably not enough sales.

I run a couple box vans one is a lightly loaded 3/4 ton and the other is 11000lb with most of the weight over the duals. In the snow and ice the 3/4 is useless but the 1 ton is a tank, it will go wherever it's pointed as long as there is a base underneath. I've pulled out vehicles and equipment with the big van it blows my mind. That doesn't answer your question.lol

Anyways long story short, not enough demand.

m.commercialtrucktrader.com/4x4-Cargo-Vans-For-Sale/search-results?drivetrain=4x4&category=Cargo+Van%7C2011732

I have a hard time believing that there's no demand for them or that they wouldn't be profitable.
They make pick-up trucks in both 2 and 4 WD and both sell. But around here, 4WD PU greatly outnumber 2WD pick-ups. I don't know why the van segment would be any different.
And manufactures of just about anything can convince Americans that they "need" whatever it is that they are selling...they create demand.

A short box trailer would probably be cheaper. Tow behind the 4x4 truck or SUV.
I'm sure that a trailer towed behind the truck I already own would be cheaper, but it's apples and oranges.

I have a very steep driveway and if you have four wheel drive or all wheel drive then you can get up and down during the winter. Front wheel drive or rear wheel drive vehicles are going to need a tow up the drive. It's happened before so when people say they are coming over the first question I ask is do you have all wheel drive or four wheel drive? If they don't I usually say see you in the spring. So down the drive comes a FedX van with the drive being slick as heck, I asked him how he plans on getting back up the drive. He's in a van, he said that the van has four wheel drive. I couldn't believe it but he marched up that drive like nothing. So I guess they do make vans with 4x drive.

My driveway access is one of the main reasons I need 4WD. Long and steep enough that I don't want to plow it every time we get a few inches of snow.
And some of the parking spots at hunting locations, river launches, etc make 4WD a requirement.
I realize that 4WD cargo vans are available, but, other than Mercedes, I thought they are all fairly expensive after-market, retro fit. If Ford/GM/Dodge started making them it would drive the price down.

For your use, it's a shame they stopped making the Ford excursion. It's the ultimate outdoors vehicle for us. Have driven across the country with a full size bed in the back . Big enough to pull the dump trailer or skid steer if I need it at camp. It basically is a cargo van if you take back seat out and fold down middle.
Again, a full size SUV (like an Excursion) and a cargo van are apples and oranges. Head-room, door access, space to stand and move around are just not there in a SUV.

FYI i believe Toyota makes an all wheel drive van.

Toyota's van is the Sienna. My wife has one in AWD. It's really nice, but it's still a mini-van. Apples and oranges.

I saw a story on the news the other day about the auto show and the new pick-up trucks they are unveiling. One had something like 6 different settings for "off-road". Are they kidding? 90% of 4WD pick up trucks never get off the pavement around here.
They should devote some of their vehicle development resources to 4WD cargo vans.

Okay, I said my piece.
I realize that I can sometimes have a hard head. (Just look back on some of my posts on X bows, odor control, wind, etc...)
This van-thing is just another thing in our modern world that I have a hard time understanding. We have a zillion choices for stuff in America (and a wallet for every choice). It would just be nice if I could buy a factory 3/4 ton, 4WD Ford cargo van with the same engines they are putting in their F150s.
Carry-on, gentlemen:emoji_slight_smile:

Comparing the pickup and cargo van market is apples and oranges

I work in the automotive industry, I will give my opinion. Even though it isnt worth anything.

Years ago a couple manufactures tested the 4x4 cargo van market, but sales were very limited. Believe it or not, cargo vans are mostly purchased by companies, and through a fleet order. About 90% are ordered plain Jane and then modified with aftermarket accessories. Most companies dont want to spend the extra $4000 to add the 4x4, then they also dont want the 20% less fuel economy that goes with 4x4 vehicles for the few times 4x4 would be used. If you owned a large(ish) plumbing company, and had 20 vans in your fleet, you would normally have about a 5 van a year turnaround, so all vans are replaced every 4 years. You may average 40,000 miles a year on each vehicle, the extra costs to have a 4x4 van is huge, compared to a 2 wheel drive van. Just the purchase difference is $20,000 per year to buy the option on 5 vans, then the 20% increase in fuel for 20 vans with 4x4 is an extra $26,000 per year, then the extra wear and tear, more expensive repairs, all adds up to less orders for them.