Why no factory 4wd cargo vans?

If you really want something for long road trips and has 4-wheel drive, check out this... Earthroamer

That is awesome![/QUOTE]

If you don't want to spend $4000k-$500k on an Earthroamer, you can consider one of these. They are 4x4 and will only set you back around $200K ... Tiger Adventure Vehicles

If you can't buy it.....build it! That's the redneck way!!!!

If you can't buy it.....build it! That's the redneck way!!!!

I'm in! Everyone has seen my useless car threads. If a bunch of rednecks can build a 69 4X4 charger we can do a van!

Hmm, 72 Chevy blazer has about the right wheel spacing.

Reactions: Tap
If you do a Ford, you can pretty much lift the body off a F350, redo the body mounts, wiring, and steering, bolt down an E350.

If you do a Ford, you can pretty much lift the body off a F350, redo the body mounts, wiring, and steering, bolt down an E350.

That's exactly why I find this puzzling. Seems like Ford could produce them for just about the same price as a pick-up.
These vans aren't popular because of the price to retro fit them. It's a lot of hassle to swap the components of 2 vehicles...gotta have a 2WD van and a 4WD truck to make the 4WD van. Seems stupid that the factory wouldn't produce them. It costs about $12k to have Quigley retro fit one...no wonder they aren't popular. The factory could produce them for half what Quigley wants to convert one. A big cost-percentage of the retro fit has to be the labor of tearing the 2WD apart and then disposing of the wasted 2WD parts.

I look at how I use my pick-up truck...I have a cap on it so I can haul stuff out of the weather or lock stuff up. I have to have 4WD, so I'm stuck with buying a pick-up.
A van can be configured in more ways...beds, shelves, 2nd,3rd,4th row seats, and all can be easily removed, folded or stowed.
How many of you guys have been cold in your tree stand because you had to dress in the rain and your base layers got wet? Wouldn't happen if you could dress in a van.
Ever show-up at the campsite in pouring rain and have to pitch a tent? It would be nice to sleep in a dry van.
How about hauling some 5 foot trees. Jam them into the cap of your pick-up or walk inside the van and have them standing upright. A van can carry twice the volume of a pick-up with a cap.

I owned a 2WD van many moons ago, and I've been around quite a few vans of friends and family. For general hauling, travel and recreation, cargo vans are great, except for their lack of traction.
I understand if a pick-up without a cap is better for some guys, but if you have a 4WD pick-up with a cap, it can't compare to the van. Maybe I'll own one someday. Hope so.

Last edited:
The Ford Excursion was kind of a 4x4 van, but they stopped making them as well, not much demand for them. There is a local guy that buys older Excursions, and converts new trucks into a new Excursion. So you can have a 2018 Excursion conversion. I have seen Excursions with the tops cut off, and have an extended roof in the past, that would probably be you easiest option to have a 4x4 van.

The Ford Excursion was kind of a 4x4 van, but they stopped making them as well, not much demand for them. There is a local guy that buys older Excursions, and converts new trucks into a new Excursion. So you can have a 2018 Excursion conversion. I have seen Excursions with the tops cut off, and have an extended roof in the past, that would probably be you easiest option to have a 4x4 van.
The Quigley version is the easiest way to get what I want. But it'll cost me $12 grand for the conversion.