Who's working in the woods this weekend?

I need the ground to freeze, we are so wet I tear the place up in the SxS. Ordered switchgrass seed today. Need more saw mix, went through 6 gal last year. I have a bunch of trees to cut down to fulfill my contract. Ill probably chop down more firewood if the weather cooperates.

Supposed to get 10-15" of snow this weekend. I think I'll hunker down at home and rebuild a family relationship that I've neglected for the last few months.

Supposed to get 12"+ at camp this weekend. I'll be here at this desk scanning aerial photos of camp and planning where to plant 4 new apple & crab trees, spruce, balsam fir, ROD, and witch hazel. Fire in fireplace woodstove in the next room will feel good this weekend - temps down to 0 to 2 degrees with wind chills around -10 Sunday into Monday. That's pretty snappy for this area of the state. I'll do lots of planning - INDOORS !!!

Looking to get 12” plus snow Saturday into Sunday. So I’ll work tomorrow. And push the snowblower in circles on Sunday. Gonna get below zero for a few days. Gotta keep the fireplace going bc oil isn’t getting any cheaper

f144d4764cbeac85fc89157a5066000d.jpg
you guys are making me jealous with all this stove talk, still would like to get something at home but for now it’s going to have to wait. Tomorrow night when I get up north I can’t wait to fire up the blaze king and mix a drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been cutting down trees. Headed back out to do it again today

20190127_115826.jpg

I cut wood the last two days, love it in this cold weather.
I cut down a good size Osage orange yesterday it must have been a male tree or something because I have never seen it fruit. Made a few nice brush piles for the bunnies out of the trimmed branches.
Had a couple walnut logs and the Osage to finish cutting and splitting today, the new son in law came out with me.....he is one wood splitting son of a gun with a maul. We had a great morning working together, I’m looking forward to the next time.

I believe I posted pics of this tree row previously. You can now see through it most places. 50 more trees to go roughly20190202_170611.jpg

Wtf is that pos tree lol?

Good ole honey locust

I don’t know about where you are at, but here in north Texas the deer will absolutely HAMMER honey locust for about a week. Especially if the persimmons are a little late to fall. I always make a note when I come across a decent patch of them on public land.

The deer eat the locust pods here....then spread the seeds of those devil trees when they poop. They are one mean tree to deal with, wood cuts and burns great but the thorns are hell on tires and boots and the trees grow faster than weeds.

The deer eat the locust pods here....then spread the seeds of those devil trees when they poop. They are one mean tree to deal with, wood cuts and burns great but the thorns are hell on tires and boots and the trees grow faster than weeds.
I only cur for firewood if it is a thornless one. Too much hassle when covered in thorns.

As much as I love them, I’m going to be turning almost all of the ones on our place into snags... snags even count as a form of shelter for our wildlife tax exempt, so I’m kind of being paid to kill them.

With the cattle being pulled off permanently next year, I’m afraid their population will explode with no grazing/herbicide if I don’t. And, I will be planting plenty of soft mast to replace the 1 week of feed it provides.

I only cur for firewood if it is a thornless one. Too much hassle when covered in thorns.

Yep, they are almost dangerous cutting. I had to cut a couple big ones on the old homestead where my orchard is now, the thorns kept getting stuck in my wheelbarrow tire I use to haul water and wood around. I finally had to buy a solid tire that cost more than the wheelbarrow and those damn little volunteer locust trees have been an ongoing battle for years, I have cut and sprayed literally hundreds and hundreds of them. I'm finally winning that battle and only seeing a few dozen a year now.

d9048c1fb04e1faa3a4bf12d7bb9f7ad.jpg
598c31431b2d7c696e9f650a88036e1b.jpg
got some apple trees trimmed and did some scouting quick;)

Chainsawing starts friday evening.

Have to clean up the yard around the cabin, then saturday we're going to lay down some trees and try to define an edge for deer travel, and if we get done with that, it's on into the sanctuary and we'll make a giant mess.

Let the good times roll.