Who are you?

Welcome Lucas. Glad you showed up because I joined 2 days ago and I'm now no longer the FNG! Lot's of great guys on here. You'll like it.

Hi, I'm Lucas.

I live in Southeast MO. I'm 36, married, with a 5 year old son. My dad has a family farm. Helped him and the neighbors through childhood and adolescence. Started working for a local sawmill at 16.
Went to college, became an industrial electrician and returned to the sawmill.

I enjoy all things outdoors, woodworking, fabricating, building, and basically anything with my hands.

I haven't spent much time at the other site, but I feel as though I'm going to fit in here well.

Looking forward to it!
Welcome Lucas and you will fit right in here.

Glad to see Erik, also.

Welcome Lucas. Glad you showed up because I joined 2 days ago and I'm now no longer the FNG! Lot's of great guys on here. You'll like it.

Welcome to the newbies.

Erik, you may not be the FNG but to all of us who are not from the great white north, you will still be a FMG.

Fn Minnesota Guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome Lucas!

Welcome, Erik and Lucas! With all of this knowledge, it can be a bit intimidating at first but these guys are the best!

Paul here 59 retired for 2 years now as aerospace exec and don't miss it one bit. My passion now is my farm which is 120 acres in North Central PA Bradford County. I have planted about 400 fruit trees of which about 75 are grafted by my 10 thumb hands so I am proud poppa of those trees since I never had my own kids. Spending the inheritance I would have saved for them now LOL. Have a nice cabin and large barn that I built on the property which also has a gas lease which is producing but at much lower rates than years ago but its better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. My wife of 35 years (yes marriage is a life sentence LOL) doesn't like spending much time at the farm but she gives me all the time I need to do my farming and hunting in archery and rifle seasons. I think this forum is amazing and has a bunch or really cool people. If anyone needs scion wood for grafting apples trees hit me up as I have over 50 or more different varieties of apples as well as 7 or 8 different types of Asian pears.

Paul here 59 retired for 2 years now as aerospace exec and don't miss it one bit. My passion now is my farm which is 120 acres in North Central PA Bradford County. I have planted about 400 fruit trees of which about 75 are grafted by my 10 thumb hands so I am proud poppa of those trees since I never had my own kids. Spending the inheritance I would have saved for them now LOL. Have a nice cabin and large barn that I built on the property which also has a gas lease which is producing but at much lower rates than years ago but its better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. My wife of 35 years (yes marriage is a life sentence LOL) doesn't like spending much time at the farm but she gives me all the time I need to do my farming and hunting in archery and rifle seasons. I think this forum is amazing and has a bunch or really cool people. If anyone needs scion wood for grafting apples trees hit me up as I have over 50 or more different varieties of apples as well as 7 or 8 different types of Asian pears.
Man I wish I was retired. Congrats. That's a LOT of fruit trees :eek:.

Seems you are about 90 miles East of me so I guess its hello neighbor. Your setup and trees sound just awesome. Maybe you would consider giving me a pruning demonstration sometime. I have read some literature but I am not well trained at all. Started planting stuff back in early 90's (back when PGC used to sell Multiflora rose...lol) but through all these years I have not performed any pruning. I mainly have a lot of wild apples that need a lot of work.

Seems you are about 90 miles East of me so I guess its hello neighbor. Your setup and trees sound just awesome. Maybe you would consider giving me a pruning demonstration sometime. I have read some literature but I am not well trained at all. Started planting stuff back in early 90's (back when PGC used to sell Multiflora rose...lol) but through all these years I have not performed any pruning. I mainly have a lot of wild apples that need a lot of work.
Yes not too far away. You can come over anytime and see the place. I am not much of a pruner but I do what I can to try to keep things growing. Let me know if you would like to come over and when. Have a few guys from this forum to my place and I enjoy showing off the place lol

Paul

Yes not too far away. You can come over anytime and see the place. I am not much of a pruner but I do what I can to try to keep things growing. Let me know if you would like to come over and when. Have a few guys from this forum to my place and I enjoy showing off the place lol

Paul
hey Paul did you see/hear about the 200"+ buck that was killed up your way this year in rifle season? I believe it was killed in East Smithfied. Big heavy, palmated non typical with drop tines etc. I remember seeing the pics on FB....it was an unreal buck.

No i
hey Paul did you see/hear about the 200"+ buck that was killed up your way this year in rifle season? I believe it was killed in East Smithfied. Big heavy, palmated non typical with drop tines etc. I remember seeing the pics on FB....it was an unreal buck.
no I didn't see it but would love to if you have the link. I heard there was a pic in the Rocket Courier also but didn't see it

Paul

No i

no I didn't see it but would love to if you have the link. I heard there was a pic in the Rocket Courier also but didn't see it

Paul
see above. i found it on FB and crop the young man's head out.

WOW !! Genuine monster. And from Paul's neck of the woods, too ?? !!

Damn I never saw him on my property lol. Amazing deer

Damn I never saw him on my property lol. Amazing deer
yep thats a pretty damn impressive buck! I've heard of/seen quite a few REALLY good bucks taken in Bradford County this year.

Have you ever heard of the Bradford County Trophy Bear and Deer Club? http://www.bcdeerandbear.com/index.php

I went to their free scoring event last year to have a couple of sheds i've found officially scored. I have taped they all a bunch of times myself, but i was curious how close i was....as it turns out i wasnt too far off at all. only one was found in Bradford County, they will measure anything you bring in, but only the ones from Bradco qualify for their record book. it also was really cool to see all the racks, mounts and sheds that people brought in to have scored....there were some really BIG deer brought in. The biggest grossed 182" and was from Sullivan County. Lots of bucks in 140's with a couple ranging from 150's up to the 180's. I ended up having 4 sheds total that would have placed in their top 10, but only one of them was found in Bradford County and it will land at the number 5 spot in their book. My biggest shed is from a Sullivan County deer and it would have slid into a tie at number 3 in their book at 65 5/8. I dont really care about the book, I knew i had some really good sheds for this part of the world, but didnt think they would "rank" that high in any type of "record book"

I highly suggest going to the event even if you dont have anything you want scored...its worth it to just look around at the bucks and talk to other local deer hunters. Its usually held at the Towanda Rifle and Pistol Club house outside of wysox.

What time of year do they do the scoring ?? Are there any public announcements ??

What time of year do they do the scoring ?? Are there any public announcements ??
Last year it was at the end of March. There website hasn't been updated since last year, nor has their FB page. I was gonna shoot them an email to make sure it's still going on...I would think so...there were easily over 100 racks last year.

Sent from 25 ft up a tree

Thanks for the info. I will try to get there this year

My name is Chris. I've been a long time "lurker", started following Paul Knox long ago. Ended up here, near the beginning.... Recently noticed a lot of guys left HT and I feel compelled to thank those of you who take the time to respectfully share information.
My dream came true in 2014 with the purchase of about 110 MN Bluffland acres. It had been pastured for 100 years and seemed to be dominated by thorns and invasives. I haven't documented like many of you but I've logged 100's of hours implementing many of your ideas.

Special thanks to the Fruit tree nerds. I've really enjoyed silently sharing your addiction.

Anyway... Thanks to all.