Who are you?

Chris, 39 live in SE WI.I'm a Operating Engineer, most of the time on a dozer. My story is way to similar to Brads, three posts up. I'm married a bowhunter and have 2 young kids 4 and 6 girl & boy. I only hunted public land for my first 15 years, I got so fed up with other hunters, that I set a goal of buying some land. Eight years ago I bought a 80 acre old abandoned farm in NW WI. I started with habitat improvement with a 1/16 acre food plot and have become a full blown addict. Now.I'm up to 5 acres of plots,pond, planting trees,shrubs, and cutting trees. My land is almost 5hr away so I never get everything done that I want. I started QDM from the start and saw one nice buck the first year. Now in the eighth year it seems to have gotten better almost every year as far as mature bucks go. I have learned almost everything from the fellow land managers on this site, and the other one too. Their wealth of knowledge is unbelievable.

Why is this thread stuck at the top of the page? If your here you figure out who everybody is.

My name is Chris, and I'm 22. I grew up in the Metro Detroit area but also grew up fishing in Mid-West Michigan. When I was about 13 my father purchased some 20 acres down the road from our cabin that butts up against a few hundred of my hunting mentor's land. A few years ago we pulled the trigger on 10 acres of swamp across from that land. Lots of pressure and one bad neighbor who owns 100 feet between our and and my mentor. I graduated from Kalamazoo College with a BA in Biology and am currently taking a few post-bac classes while en route entry into a program in which I would recieve a Masters of Arts in Teaching for secondary education (Bio major and Earth Science minor). Depending on how my life is going, after this program I'd be interested in doing a PhD in biology (either evolutionary bio or entomology ). I find that my passion for biology and the outdoors overlap quite nicely, almost every class I've taken I've found a way to incorporate into my land management (from environmental science and trying to find ways to minimize chemical inputs of all kinds on my land, all the way to population and community dynamics and learning about the deer herd). I've been trying to maximizing all wildlife habitat, with a specific focus on deer (obviously) but also native pollinators. I've enjoyed increasing the overall biodiversity on my property, and am planning on replacing all (if possible) non-native invasives (A/O) with natives. My land may not have the best hunting, but there is sure as heck no reason I can't enjoy it do to other stuff and improve the habitat. I'm here to learn!

Mark, 47 married with two boys 17 and 19. The oldest in College and youngest a senior in High school. Born in Wi trained in Forestry and Wildlife at UWSP. Moved out west worked for awhile and went back to school and got a Masters in Mechanical Engineering. Then continued hunting and fishing ID, WA, OR. and worked in Oregon and Washington. Then moved for Toronto Canada for a job promotion and realized in a few years that with hunting and fishing much harder to do -- life was not as good. My wife and I were ready to start a family and decided to move back to be close to family in WI. I have been working out of my house ever since and travel all over North America regularly supporting my customers.

I live 20 minutes from our 320 acre family farm. This is land that has been in our family since the 1890's spent my childhood chasing everything that I could find to hunt. squirrel, rabbit , grouse ,deer. During the hunting off season I fished trout in local streams and fished any local lake that I could get dropped off at for the day. Our farm has changed a lot since I was a kid, those who hunted from our farm house camp in my early years would never believe what our land has transformed into through lots of hard work. We are blessed with good deer numbers. We do not have the best genetics and soils but kill some very respectable deer.

Nothing like working on land you have a long connection with. I have learned a lot from people on these forums over the years, but I always encourage people to experiment on their land because what works for my soil and deer may not be what is best for you. I like seat time on my JD 3020 and find working hard on my land to be very relaxing. Variety is the spice of life and I use this philosophy in the planting of my 20 acres of foodplots. Hinge cutting, tree planting and sanctuaries have been the other essential transformation components of our land.

Avid bow hunter and bird hunter. Really have enjoyed my labs over the years and they are always ready to work at the land. I enjoy hunting public land in various parts of Wisconsin and Kansas. Hunting in Iowa is incredible. Currently looking for land in northern Missouri or southern Iowa - Investment and hunting!

My wife of 25 years is the foundation which allows all this to be possible. While I was travelling making money she was a stay at home mom that kept the boys on the right path. Ain't no one happy if momma ain't happy! After all these years we have fun. I guess we have kind of an old fashion relationship, but we like it that way

Attitude is everything!!

Greetings.....former Minnesotan here. Spent most of my working life in Alaska and am considering a move back to Mn after retirement. Miss the mild winter temps. and long winter daylight hours:). As a teenager, I lived in an area that had a three day slug hunting buck season and lots of pressure. Deer hunting was not all that good. Many of the conservation programs were born after my departure from the State some 30 years ago. Look forward to learning everything I can about habitat improvement and someday hope to own a piece of dirt I can call home. Look forward to meeting you all.

Hi my name is Mike I'm 46 yrs old.i live in Missouri.
I married my high school sweetheart 24yrs ago and we have been together for 28.
I have one 17yr old son who enjoys the outdoors almost as much as I do ..
I have been a a licensed plumber for 23 yrs.
During that 23 yrs I have been with 2 company's 6yrs at the first and 17 yrs at the second company.
I enjoy hunting deer ,turkey, pheasant ,chucker, quail, rabbit .i all so enjoy fishing for bass , bluegill and catfish
I went to Canada in 09 and shot a bear.
Times must have been different back then because
I got my first gun in 2nd grade a 410
I was useing a 20 gauge in 5th grade to hunt deer by myself.
7th grade a 30-30 but never saw a deer until my 9th grade were I killed , gutted and dragged out a spike all by myself
I WAS HOOKED at that point.
I grew up hunting on my grandma's 320 acre farm in southern mo .When my mom died at a young age of 56 of lung cancer my uncle was going to inherit the whole farm so my father decided that we should buy our own farm as a family. So we started looking for a farm it turned out that with
My dad puting down the down payment and us 4 kids making the payments and our spouse all had different wants in a farm we ended up buying a house on a small lot that has common ground . a total of 16 lots within 43 acres surrounded by 660 acres of common ground.
It is roughly 1.25 miles deep x 1mile long.
There is a 73 acre lake, 2 ponds ,33 acres of warm season grasses,
11 acres of food plots that my brothers and I take care of .
The rest is big timber.
We have a caretaker that lives at the front of the property so everything is some what safe .
Out of the 16 lot only about 6-8 hunters
The total size is 703 acres.
My son and I travel around the state and hunt mdc ground all fall . I have always told him that I own him in November for deer season and no girlfriend or wife was going to change that since that been our time to bond since he was a little boy.

Last edited:
well heres my intro. i'm 19 years old i grew up in fergus falls mn. i go to school at NDSU for crop and weed sciences(agronomy). my dad owns 260 acres of hunting land in northwest Minnesota (Kittson county).

well heres my intro. i'm 19 years old i grew up in fergus falls mn. i go to school at NDSU for crop and weed sciences(agronomy). my dad owns 260 acres of hunting land in northwest Minnesota (Kittson county).
Welcome, Josh!

Welcome to all. Thanks for the intro.

Great post and good to meet you all. Someday I'd love to come tour some of your properties. My name is Jeff. I've chatted with a few of you in the past but never gave a formal introduction. My wife and I purchase 50 acres of agricultural forest in the drift less area near Ontario WI. It's a beautiful little chunk of acreage.

I was born and raised in a small town near La Crosse Wi and this is where I live today. I served in the active duty Air Force as well as the Wisconsin Air guard in Madison. I also went off to college and never really stopped. I have been attending part time ever since. I have degrees in engineering and management but I am finally finishing my Masters in Business Administration in a couple of months. Today, I have a great job and am a General Manager of a mid sized, high tech fabrication factory.

I'm 43 years old, and have 2 high school aged daughter's who both like to hunt with their dad. They both shot their first bucks this last year. I was with each one and will never forget either of those hunts. Both were respectable bucks and both hunts were better than any I've ever been on in 30 years of fanatical deer hunting.
I've shot a lot of deer over the years and several bragging class bucks, but owning land transformed this passion in ways I never expected.
I'm also married to a very supportive city girl. One of the first things I told her when I first met her was that some day I wanted to own my own land and she has never let me forget that despite she'd probably rather live in the heart of sky scrapers. She doesn't hunt but for some reason loves that I do. We go on frequent drives together "out to the land".

Welcome aboard Rockon(and all the other newcomers)! Great to have another Driftless Area guy on the site. Congrats on the success of your daughters hunts! Really cool! Memories they and you will never forget! Since your in La Crosse, we may have to get together for a beer. I was just about 6 miles outside of Ontario last weekend visiting a buddy, typical coulee country, beautiful! I am going to make a guess by your site handle and location that maybe you lived in Rockland at some point?;)

Thanks wiscwhip. I never lived in Rockland but I'm always up for a cold one.

Name is Wade. I'm one of the semi-regulars that came over when the brew-ha-ha happened on the dark side. 42 years old, bachelor, live in Az, work for UPS as a driver and own 80 acres near bertha mn. Love Minnesota, but find it hard to make the jump to live there. Az's wide open spaces,scenic views,and lax laws are tough to beat.

Name is Wade. I'm one of the semi-regulars that came over when the brew-ha-ha happened on the dark side. 42 years old, bachelor, live in Az, work for UPS as a driver and own 80 acres near bertha mn. Love Minnesota, but find it hard to make the jump to live there. Az's wide open spaces,scenic views,and lax laws are tough to beat.

.............not to mention the sunshine and the weather. ;)

Zip it Foggy - it was -7 actual temp here in IN this morning and I am sure it was much worse in WI and MN where most of the guys are from.

Zip it Foggy - it was -7 actual temp here in IN this morning and I am sure it was much worse in WI and MN where most of the guys are from.

Talked to my dad this morning and he said the thermometer said -26. 90 miles north some spots hit -42 per the news :eek:. Looks nice and sunny outside through my office window.

I was pumping gas this morning and got a surprise.

It's -7 outside without factoring in the wind. I have my heavy Gore-Tex deer hunting coat on and my usual work attire of a polo and khaki pants (like Jake from State Farm). I put over 20 gallons in my truck and like an idiot - I stood outside the entire time. Well when the truck was full I put the pump back and hopped into my truck and hurried to get out of the cold. Well from the waist up I was pretty warm, but my britches got pretty darn cold from standing outside. When I hopped into the seat - my cold britches contacted a very sensitive area :eek:! I not only about jumped thru the roof of the cab of my truck but literally almost peed my pants!

I hate the cold - but I hated it a little more this morning! And Foggy is in AZ - it just isn't fair.

.............not to mention the sunshine and the weather. ;)
No wonder you never talk about the weather Wink.......those "Northerner folks" get violent when you mention warm and sunshine. ;) UT OH....look at the time!......I'm gonna be late for Golf. :D

:( my pool is covered in ice!

they say it is best to buy gas when the weather is cool because it is denser - this morning I think it came out of the pump in chunks.......

I need no ice to keep my beer cold today.