Who are you?

Thanks for the approval ............... 75 acres in Chenango County NY (Central NY) well north of "the city." Owned the property for just a year and looking forward to managing it for wildlife, mainly deer & turkey but it does have a small swamp so waterfowl is not out of the question. Planning to put in food plots this year for the first time. In my spare time besides land managing I chase steelhead, trout and a teenage son and two college aged daughters. Been in the policing business for too long and looking forward to retirement in a few years.

Hello all, just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. I am the owner of a 60ac tract of "go back land/pasture" located in Okmulgee Co, OK. Primarily engaged in cow/calf operation with an extra emphasis on regenerative aspects of habitat improvement for livestock and wildlife. Usually plant winter annuals (wheat, cereal rye, turnips and radishes) and Red River Crabgrass in the spring. Not a fan of monocultures, completely an amateur, but have learned a fair amount from my failures (many such cases). Have dabbled in no-till (rented from local extension office) and plan on buying one soon.

Looking forward to continuing to learn via this forum, take care!

Thanks for the approval ............... 75 acres in Chenango County NY (Central NY) well north of "the city." Owned the property for just a year and looking forward to managing it for wildlife, mainly deer & turkey but it does have a small swamp so waterfowl is not out of the question. Planning to put in food plots this year for the first time. In my spare time besides land managing I chase steelhead, trout and a teenage son and two college aged daughters. Been in the policing business for too long and looking forward to retirement in a few years.
You had me at 75 acres in Central NY 🤣 nice to meet you distant neighbor! I am just south of Syracuse.

Hello all, just wanted to take a minute and introduce myself. I am the owner of a 60ac tract of "go back land/pasture" located in Okmulgee Co, OK. Primarily engaged in cow/calf operation with an extra emphasis on regenerative aspects of habitat improvement for livestock and wildlife. Usually plant winter annuals (wheat, cereal rye, turnips and radishes) and Red River Crabgrass in the spring. Not a fan of monocultures, completely an amateur, but have learned a fair amount from my failures (many such cases). Have dabbled in no-till (rented from local extension office) and plan on buying one soon.

Welcome to HT! Lots of knowlege on this forum, nice to meet you.

Welcome to H-T!

Welcome fellow Okie!

My spouse and I just purchased a unique property in the Illinois River Valley. It's a former small RV park with 16 tillable acres, 15 acres of fields/sites and 16 or so acres of Honeysuckle forest. 😂

We will be practicing regenerative land management, agroforestry, and agro/fitness tourism. Yeah, we got dreams, people! We have deer on our property everyday and a hunter that has shared his season's harvest with us. I did a venison roast "sous-vide" and seared it off. It was perfect.

I'm in the "build up my arsenal" mode and have acquired a used Kubota L47 TLB, a Wright Stander X and I'm looking at a Genesis 5 drill and Goliath crimper.

Priorities are to start the regeneration of the tilled acreage with a diverse species cover crop from Green Cover Seed and removing the invasive hneysuckle. Oh yeah, and rehab the old pole barn and cottage.

I look forward to sharing and learning from you all!

Chris

IMG_2429.jpeg
IMG_2430.jpeg

My wife got me a sous-vide cooker two years ago and wow, perfect venison and beef tenderloins every time. Your pictures have my mouth watering.
Sounds like a great property with lots of promise. Welcome to the forum.

My wife got me a sous-vide cooker two years ago and wow, perfect venison and beef tenderloins every time. Your pictures have my mouth watering.
Sounds like a great property with lots of promise. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks, 365!

It really does make it easy!

Newer to this form I've been around AT and oldgobbler under another screen name for years.

Last June my father and I took the plunge on hunting land right on the edge of Steuben and Allegany County NY not far from the PA line, it has a 3 bedroom cabin on 33 acres and then negotiated the neighboring 122 acres and pole barn. Much of the property consists of a long steep ravine corridor that parallels the quiet country road for a mile on our land. The roadside face of the property has 2 old pastures and 2 old hay fields, an out of use dairy barn and refinished pole barn, the farm was last used in summer of 2014. The pole barn is perfect for all our equipment, and we've gone to work filling it. Our timber is dominated by hemlock and white pines along the ravine and a small marsh. Our other forest areas are beech, cherry, hawthorn, and maple. There are a few apple trees left producing and no hard mast trees other than 3 young red oaks. There are very few mature oaks in the general vicinity. We spent the bulk of the first year working on the cabin for the family so the first hunting year was a bit of an observational year. We placed several small fall food plots throughout a bit late but a few of these areas had been plots about 3 years prior so prepping wasn’t too bad. I feel like a learned a lot, figured out some of the low holes to be addressed and the strong points of the property. We had no issue taking a few does and I took 1 buck from the property that I estimated at 3.5

For this year we are turning our attention to the habitat now that the cabin is finished. We have a local forester with a dozer coming to re-grade our old road system and fix some water turn outs, while here he will help prep some new plot areas and expand a few that we started last year. I’ve food plotted several properties prior but never had land ownership so timber work and long-term habitat planning is new to me so I will have loads of questions.

Hi all.
Found this site while searching for ways to improve trembling aspen for deer habitat. I'm late 50s and am reducing my cattle numbers so that's going to free up some of my treed pastures to create a haven for wildlife. Looking forward to reading and learning about what works elsewhere and applying some of it here in West Central Saskatchewan.

Hi all.
Found this site while searching for ways to improve trembling aspen for deer habitat. I'm late 50s and am reducing my cattle numbers so that's going to free up some of my treed pastures to create a haven for wildlife. Looking forward to reading and learning about what works elsewhere and applying some of it here in West Central Saskatchewan.
Welcome…I would love to hear more about your world. That Saskatchewan/Alberta deal seems like heaven to me. An enormous amount of undeveloped land, broken ag and timber stands, low pressure in comparison to most of the states and giant deer. What’s not to love…I would make a joke about the Canadian government but we have no room to talk anymore.

Hi all.
Welcome to H-T.

Greetings, just found this site during a search for information on something else. After a short time reading I figured I’d better sign up.

I’m mid 50’s, semi-retiree who purchased a 40 acre property with ‘cabin’ in northwest Wisconsin in 2021. After a couple of additions, am able to spend much more time here and working on projects, large and small, to improve it for quality of life.

Hope to learn a lot more and share what little I can.

Greetings, just found this site during a search for information on something else. After a short time reading I figured I’d better sign up.

I’m mid 50’s, semi-retiree who purchased a 40 acre property with ‘cabin’ in northwest Wisconsin in 2021. After a couple of additions, am able to spend much more time here and working on projects, large and small, to improve it for quality of life.

Hope to learn a lot more and share what little I can.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks for allowing me to join. 1.5 years ago I purchased a 13 acre parcel in Fond du Lac county, WI. Partially wooded, small pond, and a couple of areas, one 4-5 acres, the other 2-3 acres which have lain fallow for at least 20 years. These pieces have grass, weeds, poison ivy, buck thorn, and prickly ash. I have plans to either do a prairie conversion or pollinator patches (more likely). I started by manually pulling the buckthorn but have switched to a flail mower and chemical warfare. Going much faster now, The two pieces are getting closer to being tilled, hopefully planting this fall. This spring I planted 50 tamarack, 50 white oak, 50 swamp white oak, and 50 bur oak bareroot seedlings. We are in a moderate drought, so I have been watering every 3-4 days. I have only lost 3 so far. I planted 7 chestnuts recently, way to early to declare a victory. I am just trying to make this small parcel a "Happy" place for butterflys, birds, and animals. I am here to learn