When to t-bud in 5b?

rogersb

5 year old buck +
I've never done t-budding but have read and watched videos on it. Seems like sources always say later in summer but I don't know what that means. I'll be at a buddy's house the 6th and 27th of August. He has a couple different Bluehill varieties I want and if either of those times are good I would like to grab a scion off him.

Now is the time to do it. Get them on the first visit.

I T-budded on August 10th one year in 5b and it worked out okay. The main thing for me was to give the trees plenty of water a couple days beforehand so the bark was slipping. I've also had success T-budding in mid-May.

Good point about watering. That’ll help the rootstock you tbud.

Been a few years since I tbudded. I did a large number for several years in zones 5 and 6. I did it at the end of July, early Aug. Late august and it might not heal and harden off before frost. I’d still try it if it was the only option. I always did 2 buds on each rootstock.

If the videos didn’t cover it, clip the leaves off the wood you collect to leave 1/2” to 1” of the stem. That’ll prevent loss of moisture from the leaves. Wrap in moist paper towels in a ziplock bag, keep cool and shaded/out of the sun. Should be good for several days. I’d collect in the early morning if you can rather than the heat of the day.

There are probably some old posts showing what I got from the USDA GRIN. They shipped UPS overnight when they were shipping for budding. They haven’t done summer wood for a few years because of fireblight problems.

I’d recommend using buddy tape or parafilm. I’m still on my first roll off buddy tape. Love it for grafting. Don’t need to take it off later.

You've gotten some good information already. I just attempted T-budding for the first time in early July & again in mid-July. I, personally, had better luck T-budding on current year growth than hard bark. I'm not sure if that's coincidence or there's a reason behind it.

Only time I ever attempted it was late summer, probbly August. The buds just were absorbed into the tree and never budded.

You've gotten some good information already. I just attempted T-budding for the first time in early July & again in mid-July. I, personally, had better luck T-budding on current year growth than hard bark. I'm not sure if that's coincidence or there's a reason behind it.
I'm going to get scion and go with the oldest buds on it. One video I watched the guy cut off 1 foot of new growth and threw it away. He said that part was not good for this type of grafting.

Only time I ever attempted it was late summer, probbly August. The buds just were absorbed into the tree and never budded.
Did you try apples? The one arborist I like to talk to told me that persimmons were the best candidates for t-budding.

Good point about watering. That’ll help the rootstock you tbud.

Been a few years since I tbudded. I did a large number for several years in zones 5 and 6. I did it at the end of July, early Aug. Late august and it might not heal and harden off before frost. I’d still try it if it was the only option. I always did 2 buds on each rootstock.

If the videos didn’t cover it, clip the leaves off the wood you collect to leave 1/2” to 1” of the stem. That’ll prevent loss of moisture from the leaves. Wrap in moist paper towels in a ziplock bag, keep cool and shaded/out of the sun. Should be good for several days. I’d collect in the early morning if you can rather than the heat of the day.

There are probably some old posts showing what I got from the USDA GRIN. They shipped UPS overnight when they were shipping for budding. They haven’t done summer wood for a few years because of fireblight problems.
I was only going to try 1 bud but I'll do 2, thanks for the idea.

Hi everyone, I believe this may be my first time posting.
I think you will have much better success using a chip bud over a T Bud, no matter the species. Line the cambiums up and seal in the moisture using parafilm, and with parafilm, you don't haft to remove it as it will fall off itself. I will attach a few pictures below showing what I would do. Chip budding is done pretty much the month of August as I reside in central Pa in plant hardiness zones 5b/6a.

Ryan

20200911_181240.jpg20200911_181306.jpg20200911_181348.jpg

I think you will have much better success using a chip bud over a T Bud, no matter the species. Line the cambiums up and seal in the moisture using parafilm, and with parafilm, you don't haft to remove it as it will fall off itself. I will attach a few pictures below showing what I would do. Chip budding is done pretty much the month of August as I reside in central Pa in plant hardiness zones 5b/6a.

Ryan

View attachment 45224View attachment 45223View attachment 45222

Thanks for the pics. I t-budded 3 yesterday and have 4 left to do. I'll chip bud those and see if I have any success with either.

Ryan

View attachment 45224View attachment 45223View attachment 45222

I wish I were closer to get a personal lesson. I tried a few times and failed. I wonder if the typical August heat and drought makes a difference for us .

Good to see you here, Ryan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk