Unique Apples

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
A few years ago I saw that Raintree was selling Johnny Appleseed trees made from scion off a legit tree planted by Mr. Appleseed back in the day that actually has the provenance to prove it..so I bought one. It's been a great conversation piece along with some cool history.
In the last few months I've gotten into wanting some red fleshed apples and crabs..just because.

Was on the internet the other day and ran across this all white apple so I started researching it a little and am going to have to get one to try! I did a search here and saw that mikmaze had mentioned it on here last spring but had missed his post on it.
It’s called White Cloud or Ghost Apple...what a cool looking apple, can you imagine driving down the road and seeing a tree loaded with them...it would look like a tree full of baseballs! Read mixed reviews on flavor from really sweet to bland, it is an early dropper I think August.

K1Ajwck.jpg

flpkbdd.jpg

Y22ie1p.jpg

Then after blowing my mind with that one I went right on down the rabbit hole and searched for rarest apple tree. What came up was pretty cool, the Black Diamond apple from Tibet! A very dark purple apple that looks almost black that grows at high elevations with crazy temp swings. The article said they can be purchased to eat for $7.50-$15 each but only in China and are illegal to export? Said that even the seed are illegal to ship out of China.
I would think someone has a few of these started somewhere in the USA and is trying to cross with Arkansas Black or similar...sooner or later we will get a chance to grow our own black apples.

Ru86JfH.jpg

Hd4B9Bo.jpg

Just thought I would share with my fellow apple junkies...they were new to me.

Now that I have my wildlife orchards pretty much set up the way I want them I will be adding just a few here and there...but with the newer property we added onto the Little Woods last summer I'm putting in a BUNCH more apples and pears for wildlife along with any varieties I may just want to try out.
We are going to be living on the property I'll have a pond to water out of twenty yards away and I will be able to spray apple trees and baby them and we have plenty of room.

Those are pretty cool!
If you don't know of him, Derrick Mills of Hocking Hills Cabins and Orchard has a huge collection of red fleshed apples.
He sells scions every year.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Those are pretty cool!
If you don't know of him, Derrick Mills of Hocking Hills Cabins and Orchard has a huge collection of red fleshed apples.
He sells scions every year.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Yep I read up on him. I've put in four varieties of red fleshed apples and crabs this spring and have four more other varieties of them on order for next spring....in for a penny....
My wife thinks I've got the addiction bad, me... I think I've got the room for them why not!

I have a white seedling that I was going to call ghost. I guess I need to change the name to Casper. I can’t remember if I marked the tree. Very mild taste. Nothing special in flavor at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the white cloud apple - I believe its a russian variety and the ghost apple is a warmer derived apple, but I am not sure. Its going into its 2nd year and wintered well and is budded out. I took some scion off of it when I first got it and they as well survived my zone 4 winter. That black diamond looked cool to I saw that when I got the white clould....

Beliy Naliv, the White Could Apple is an extremely hardy Siberian variety prized for it's early ripening, flavorful and juicy fruit. This medium sized, almost white apple is easy to grow and great for fresh eating and also makes delicious apple sauce.

I'm pretty keen on an early dropper with sweet flavor for Ontario bear season. I'll have to get one of those started when Corona is over.

I have a ten-year Ch1nese visa that expires in 2025. If I make it there during apple season I'll try to get some seeds out. If I make it there in winter I'll try to get some scions in the mail to the folks that do the culturing in the US.

A unique apple is any apple that can grow in east texas..........

bill
That white "ghost apple" might work for ya.... says it loves the heat. Who knows -

That white "ghost apple" might work for ya.... says it loves the heat. Who knows -

Most of my apples are ghost apples in less than a year.......

Allen at the wildlife group hooked me up with a few varieties in Jan 2019 that might work

i also added a drip irrigation system to a plan of weed mats,mulch,screen, and cages in a 0.5 acre orchard

time will tell

bill

Most of my apples are ghost apples in less than a year.......
I laughed till I realized exactly what you meant... We are blessed up here with some pretty good climate, I often wish it was a zone warmer just to get into some different stuff but I have to be grateful for the weather we do have and the moisture it brings.

A unique apple is any apple that can grow in east texas..........

bill

A lot of really good apples can grow there. You just have to water them.