When to put wire train

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
when can you start to add wire and pull down laterals to train young trees. Is it too early? Should I wait a few more weeks?

Any time, but just be aware things are more brittle during winter. I train branches constantly.

How do you know when it's past time to train the limbs - based on size ( diameter ) ?? Is there a good gauge or rule of thumb ??

How do you know when it's past time to train the limbs - based on size ( diameter ) ?? Is there a good gauge or rule of thumb ??

Depends on what you are trying to change. No hard and fast rule, but you can train a limb that is fairly large diameter. Just takes longer for the the pressure you are putting on it to take hold. You might have to make a few relief cuts at the bending point.

Spend more training early on, and you will spend less time later on training, pruning, correcting etc.

Would the relief cuts only be just through the bark and maybe in a series if needed ?

Would the relief cuts only be just through the bark and maybe in a series if needed ?

A little deeper than the bark level and yes a series of cuts. I believe Crazy Ed had an article on it sometime in the past.