When to leave stand

I tend to have this issue when I don't hunt trails but instead hunt destinations. I realize it's not always a choice, but hunting a trail or travel corridor is much easier to get in to and out of because the deer move past you. Hunting over a food plot, feeder or mineral site in particular you are asking the deer to be there when you don't want them to be. I am much more a gun hunter vs a bow, so I don't have to get as close. But especially without screening or the like sitting right on top of these sorts of places you sort of create your own issue. I like to see lots of deer as well as the next guy....but you start educating your deer and they will essentially vanish altogehter and then it doesn't matter either way.

I have resorted to throwing walnuts and even considered a slingshot before as well. Normally I could tell the wife to let the dogs loose at the house and they would come find me and push the deer away...but that isn't exactly great either.

For some reason the whitetail population has really dropped here.

Even made the news.

The mule deer have decided bedding in my tree tubes is the real deal.

I don’t think they are even scared of me.

I think blinds need to be used sparingly if you want Mr. Big.

I read an article about consistent trophy hunters. The writer said the thing they had in common was how little they actually “ hunted”.

Every time U in one ……..lowers your chance of not being detected.

Kind of a bummer really.

The deer around me own the woods, they aren’t afraid, and know when they are being hunted.

Last week from the house. A plot that I don't hunt. I don't think he's mature but he is decent and out in the daylight. If I were to hunt him I would be at least a half mile away from this spot. If not I could probably turn him nocturnal in a weekend.

Last week from the house. A plot that I don't hunt. I don't think he's mature but he is decent and out in the daylight. If I were to hunt him I would be at least a half mile away from this spot. If not I could probably turn him nocturnal in a weekend.

A great buck in my area too!

Sorry for the double reply, it was a tough day in the bullet factory! 🤪

Last edited: