What's for dinner?

The sweet corn this year is very sweet and juicy despite lack of rain.

Maybe the lack of rain is why. Had a lady at the farm stand tell me the best year for peaches are a drought year. They don't have as much water in them and their sweeter.

Got a pot of chili one now.

IMG_2403.jpeg

Smoked some flathead and it turned out incredible.

c4593e2ddaa6705c9bc09ad9674f2849.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoked some flathead and it turned out incredible.

c4593e2ddaa6705c9bc09ad9674f2849.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad sometimes smokes fish and even makes jerky out of it. Most guys look at you like your crazy when you open a bag of fish jerky... but once they try it they ask how to make it.
That flathead looks great!

Maybe the lack of rain is why. Had a lady at the farm stand tell me the best year for peaches are a drought year. They don't have as much water in them and their sweeter.

Got a pot of chili one now.

View attachment 56552
Bill, I don’t know how to break this to you, but that ain’t chili !😜 I wish I could introduce you to a bowl of Texas Red ! Seriously, I have a closely guarded secret recipe that I’ve used for years and it makes the best dang chili you ever flopped a lip over !😂😂😂image.jpgimage.jpg

Bill, I don’t know how to break this to you, but that ain’t chili !😜 I wish I could introduce you to a bowl of Texas Red ! Seriously, I have a closely guarded secret recipe that I’ve used for years and it makes the best dang chili you ever flopped a lip over !😂😂😂View attachment 56649View attachment 56649

You'll have to add beans to that to make it real chilli ... 😀

You'll have to add beans to that to make it real chilli ... 😀
That point has been argued since beans were invented (?) in the state of Texas, and it ain’t settled yet !😂

We had our first family get together at the new place and did a big crab boil. I had a little bit of sticker shock at the price jump on snow crab since last year but didn’t let it slow me down.
We put it on with a couple kinds of crab and LOTS of shrimp, even scored on some huge ones.

IMG_5906.jpeg
IMG_5905.jpeg
IMG_5903.jpeg

No doubt my chili is different than most. I like adding more to it. Halved and even whole "smaller mushrooms" was a good addition.
Even though it’s taboo to some residents, I put mushrooms in mine too, and onion, and pickled jalapenos. That gives it flavor without heat. I use venison exclusively and it really tastes good with cornbread on a cold day.

I had a little bit of sticker shock at the price jump on snow crab since last year but didn’t let it slow me down.

I picked up 10# last week for $8.99 #. Cheapest I have seen in a while.

Breakfast of champions. Set the fryer up for dove heart, gizzards, and breast. If I can talk the wife into skipping the parade I'll go catch some fish while the grease is still hot.
20230904_081313.jpg20230904_081325.jpg

I use venison exclusively and it really tastes good with cornbread on a cold day.
Venison chili ............ THAT'S good stuff!!!!! ^ ^ ^ ^ This sounds really good.

^ ^ ^ ^ What kind of wood for smoking the brisket??

That’s good looking brisket !