What's for dinner?

Thanks! I’m going to try a brisket this July 4th. Trying to ballpark times. Am I right that you can rest it for quite some time? So I can shoot for an earlier finish and allow myself additional time but if I am done earlier it can just rest it longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve done two briskets. 9 and 11 pounders. Separated one, not on the other. Both took about 11 hours. But it’s all about temp/probe tender as mentioned. Give yourself plenty of time. Can always rest if finished early. Can’t really rush it.

Memorial Day brisket. This was a 13.5 pound whole packer. I separated the point from the flat and made slices and burnt ends. Brisket is an all day project but worth every minute.
View attachment 53187View attachment 53188View attachment 53189View attachment 53190View attachment 53191View attachment 53192View attachment 53193

Someday ... What grade of beef do you look for in a brisket? How do you select one?

Someday ... What grade of beef do you look for in a brisket? How do you select one?
This last one was a choice grade brisket. Prime is usually best but they can get really pricey. Honestly this one was a Walmart yellow tag special that I only paid $33 for, which was less than Half price. When I saw it I picked it up and it was really flexible in the package and has a nice sized point section. That’s really all
I look for. I bought it several weeks ago and just put it in the freezer. I took it out of the freezer last Thursday and put it in the fridge. It was thawed and ready to trim by Sunday afternoon. I trimmed, separated and seasoned it Sunday afternoon, wrapped it tight in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge. I started the cook early Monday morning.

The last couple of briskets I picked up were choice grade and on sale. Both were from our local grocery store, and I believe about $30-40 for 10-13# briskets. Historically, I have been a Tri-Tip and Tenderloin person who loves brisket, but never prepared one. The results using the recipe below impressed even my son, who is a brisket connoisseur.

I made one in the oven and the other on the grill. I trimmed and seasoned the night before. They ended up at 7# and 10# trimmed. Before cooking, pat excess moisture, then follow the instructions. Time in the oven/grill was just over 4 hours total or both, as brisket is pretty flat. The results were excellent.

Brisket Recipe FoodNetwork copy.jpg

4 hours? 350 degrees?

Have never done like that. Always 225. Takes about 12 hours for 10-11 lb brisket. Have always used prime. You want the marbling in brisket.

4 hours? 350 degrees?

Have never done like that. Always 225. Takes about 12 hours for 10-11 lb brisket. Have always used prime. You want the marbling in brisket.
The folks at "America's Test Kitchen" found that it requires a higher temperature to overcome evaporative cooling that happens as the juices evaporate at lower temperatures. I have also been successful with 350 for 90 minutes (to get the meat to the temp where drying is not a concern) and then lowering to 275 or 250.

As noted, my son (who is a 12 hour, low-temp grilling fanatic) was surprised at the tender, juicy outcome. Another benefit is that this requires little input on the part of the chef!

Nothing wrong with learning and trying different things. That’s half the fun of cooking anyway.

The folks at "America's Test Kitchen" found that it requires a higher temperature to overcome evaporative cooling that happens as the juices evaporate at lower temperatures. I have also been successful with 350 for 90 minutes (to get the meat to the temp where drying is not a concern) and then lowering to 275 or 250.

As noted, my son (who is a 12 hour, low-temp grilling fanatic) was surprised at the tender, juicy outcome. Another benefit is that this requires little input on the part of the chef!
There’s little input with low and slow other than time. That’s the biggest drawback. I finished my last one at 4am. We’ve done one over night. Both had fire issues halfway through. My BIL let the big green egg fire go out and my Traeger got clogged. Lost about an hour in both cooks. They both turned out fantastic though.

Reactions: 356
I
33417e307e575ac3c940730c73ad3a27.jpg

f401dd1728bced53ef21b90c07dca1b0.jpg

323438c1791ad5533c4cd385f93580e8.jpg

e52b1f85f5aec4cca3a1a3c925f979d1.jpg

I did this one last month. Separated the point and flat and made burnt ends from the point. Both were great.

Sirloin and chicken kabobs. Zucchini and mushroom kabobs, twice baked potatoes.
And of course a nice glass of wine (not pictured). IMG_1362.jpeg

Was caging some conifers this morning. It got hot enough to stop being fun by 1:00 and I was starving so came home and made a batch of venison stroganoff.

IMG_5393.jpeg
IMG_5392.jpeg

Served over drop biscuits

IMG_5397.jpeg

Fresh caught tuna. Blackening seasoning. Hot pan for about a minute on each side.

I just can’t eat store bought tuna anymore.

DABA9C0C-BA18-4C60-B7A8-5853A86068CC.jpeg7A29FC1D-5A24-4539-9D04-1DE06A47A29D.jpeg

Fresh caught tuna. Blackening seasoning. Hot pan for about a minute on each side.

I just can’t eat store bought tuna anymore.

View attachment 53430View attachment 53431

I had a blackened tuna steak while we were in Virginia... one of the best things I've ever eaten!

Specklebelly goose dry rubbed with Tony’s/pepper/brown sugar and slow roasted. Then wrapped in tinfoil put in fridge for a day to chill then sliced into sandwiches. I make mine with Swiss and Mayo.
Best tasting waterfowl there is!

IMG_5418.jpeg
IMG_5419.jpeg

I believe cold duck/goose sandwiches ... just the way you fixed yours is one of the best ways to consume waterfowl. Family - when I was a kid - always eat leftover ducks/geese from dinner that way.

I’ve eaten probably a literal ton of cold, smoked snow goose breast. Nothing bad about it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Specklebelly goose dry rubbed with Tony’s/pepper/brown sugar and slow roasted. Then wrapped in tinfoil put in fridge for a day to chill then sliced into sandwiches. I make mine with Swiss and Mayo.
Best tasting waterfowl there is!

View attachment 53585
View attachment 53586
I will second the specks being great table fare. Had a couple in Arkansas about 10 years ago when on a duck hunt. It was the best bird I’ve had.

I got into speckles once... great eating bird! Teal are my second favorite waterfowl. Then goose pastrami.