What's for dinner?

Ribs and apple pie this past weekend.

5948bbf4be6a8acef957a099e68b2ce2.jpg

9aca613a610085dd45f2f21fe7f13e3d.jpg

a5204fc25d15906b51754c2ed2c2e690.jpg

1c65c8a9e0766dd049c37c636a521f17.jpg

1d3f8082473d73445a49cd6593862b52.jpg

Ribs look great! What's your method on them? Spares or baby backs?
These were St. Louis cut spare ribs but I actually prefer baby backs. The spare ribs certainly have more meat on them though. My method is pretty simple. I like to experiment a little with seasonings but my go to is to use a base layer all purpose salt, pepper, and garlic rub followed by a layer of Killer Hogs The BBQ rub (it’s got both great flavor and the color makes for a nice presentation). depending on time I’ll go indirect heat low and slow at 225 or a little faster at 275 degrees. The first stage is visual, once they’ve gotten a good bark on the outside and have taken in plenty of smoke (usually 2 to 2 1/2 hours) I wrap in foil. I’ll use a couple pats of butter, some brown sugar, and honey inside the wrap. For spare ribs I’ll temp check them at an hour, for baby backs I’ll temp check them at 45 minutes. Once they reach 200-205 degrees they’re done. I’ll let them rest in the foil for 20 minutes or so to let them tighten back up a little. Then lightly glaze with sauce and put back on the grill for 15 minutes. Then it’s slice and eat.
This is yesterdays finished product - total cook time was right at 4 hours With the Kamado joe hovering between 250 and 275. Final internal temp was 206 degrees after an hour in the foil.
A9D6E7B4-EB07-4EB4-BFAA-B7BAFF5B36D7.jpegF10DE65A-57A2-4C62-B110-A52D623227A1.jpeg

These were St. Louis cut spare ribs but I actually prefer baby backs. The spare ribs certainly have more meat on them though. My method is pretty simple. I like to experiment a little with seasonings but my go to is to use a base layer all purpose salt, pepper, and garlic rub followed by a layer of Killer Hogs The BBQ rub (it’s got both great flavor and the color makes for a nice presentation). depending on time I’ll go indirect heat low and slow at 225 or a little faster at 275 degrees. The first stage is visual, once they’ve gotten a good bark on the outside and have taken in plenty of smoke (usually 2 to 2 1/2 hours) I wrap in foil. I’ll use a couple pats of butter, some brown sugar, and honey inside the wrap. For spare ribs I’ll temp check them at an hour, for baby backs I’ll temp check them at 45 minutes. Once they reach 200-205 degrees they’re done. I’ll let them rest in the foil for 20 minutes or so to let them tighten back up a little. Then lightly glaze with sauce and put back on the grill for 15 minutes. Then it’s slice and eat.
This is yesterdays finished product - total cook time was right at 4 hours With the Kamado joe hovering between 250 and 275. Final internal temp was 206 degrees after an hour in the foil.
View attachment 43992View attachment 43993
Very nice! Look great!

I prefer spares after doing both for my first smoke last fall. I wrapped the first time but haven't the 3 times since.

For spares I've rubbed the night before w/ mustard binder and wrap up tight in saran wrap. Then I just smoke at 225 for 6 hours. Spritz every hour w/ apple cider/apple cider vinegar mix. 3:1 ratio. No sauce, no wrap, no temp check. They've been perfect every time this way. Maybe I'm just lucky. :)

I did buy some sauce initially so I am planning to do some light saucing in the future but I prefer the dry rub/smoke by far.

Last edited:
Kids are THE BEST !!!! Grub looks pretty good, H20 !!

Grilled a pretty dang good cheap pork loin and a bunch of Turkey Creek contender peach halves. It was a tasty pairing.

20220821_201515.jpg

I thought those where new potato’s at first not peaches looks good.

20221001_205404.jpg

Not beautiful, but very delicious, and healthy to boot.

Grilled red deer steak, root vegetables with Norwegian "hunter sauce", and whole beets with garlic and balsamic. The root vegetables are from my garden: carrot, parsnip, radish, kohlrabi. The beets are also from my garden, and the whole plant was used, including the stems and leaves.

9.5 pound brisket flat. Lit the Kamado joe at 6:00 this morning. Smoked at 225 for six hours, wrapped until 203 degrees. Let it rest for two and a half hours. It turned out great!
E4E513C5-831E-4CE7-9C90-294D204682B1.jpeg

Attachments

• 6D05FB61-E9DA-45CE-BEE3-99D14F834AF1.jpeg
    6D05FB61-E9DA-45CE-BEE3-99D14F834AF1.jpeg
    444.6 KB · Views: 12
9.5 pound brisket flat. Lit the Kamado joe at 6:00 this morning. Smoked at 225 for six hours, wrapped until 203 degrees. Let it rest for two and a half hours. It turned out great!
View attachment 46758

Looks like it will melt in your mouth.

Ever try to make Jerky with that grill?

Looks like it will melt in your mouth.

Ever try to make Jerky with that grill?
I haven’t yet. It’a something that’ll be worth a shot though. One of the things about the kamado is it’s really good about keeping meat moist and juicy. It might be hard to get jerky the right texture. I’ll have to do some experimenting.

I bought 2 prime grade briskets from Costco a few months ago. They averaged about 18lb each for $3.99/lb. I cut about 5lb of fat off of each and then cubed the meat up and pressure canned it. It is unbelievably tender. Full of delicious melted fat. I like to butter a bakery bun then sprinkle it with garlic powder and throw it in the air fryer. Makes a nice crispy bun for that savory beef. Fast and EASY.

IMG_1914.JPGIMG_1955.JPG

Shame on me for not pausing to take a picture. Smoked wild turkey tonight was delicious. After harvest I separated it into breasts and leg/thigh sections. Applied rub before freezing. Thawed them and applied a bit more rub. Wrapped them once they reached 140. Pulled them out at 165. Leg/thigh sections took nearly an hour longer to cook.

I believe applying rub before freezing really helped the flavor penetrate throughout during the freeze-thaw cycle. Wrapping them from 140-165 keeps them moist, we do this when smoking chicken breasts also.

My oldest son Tyler requested something different to eat for the game this weekend, so for the first time, I made braised ox tail and short ribs this weekend. They turned out great, but we could have had some great steaks for what I paid for these.

The prep took longer than expected, so I was way behind on finishing it up. Here is the recipe I used but it was slightly modified. https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/braised-short-ribs/ I also preferred the short ribs over the oxtail.