All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's for dinner?

it’s important to smash them thin because the flavor is all in the browned crust that develops.

I like this. Much like Culvers does with their burgers. I made 1/4 pound burgers tonight, but I like your idea much better. Thanks for the tip.

-John

I like this. Much like Culvers does with their burgers. I made 1/4 pound burgers tonight, but I like your idea much better. Thanks for the tip.

-John

What is most important is the fat content. Try and get at least 80/20 ground. The fat content really helps crusting and is what real meat is all about :emoji_wink:

What is most important is the fat content. Try and get at least 80/20 ground. The fat content really helps crusting and is what real meat is all about :emoji_wink:

The good news is the ground beef from the 1/2 we bought this fall has plenty of fat. Might give this a try this week. I'm not sure I would have ever thought of (2) thin patties, both nice and crispy.

I'll take pictures when I do it.

-John

Well, it's not steak but I did have a pot of deer chili simmering all day in the cast iron. Pretty good topped with horseradish cheddar slices.
e20c7c0aea24fc172c0f382476971599.jpg
79da1a8114efed8ae4efb20715778c65.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Catscratch - I hope that's a DEEP pot !! Looks like a killer batch. Venison chili is the best. Horseradish cheddar is the final nail.

After cutting wood yesterday I went home and made some Scotch eggs for a stick to ribs late breakfast, I like mine with a little maple syrup.

rn4QNip.jpg

KrPVHpd.jpg

The first scotch egg I had in London made me slightly obsessed with the dish. I've put them in everything from eggs Benedict to North Indian korma recipes. Sometimes I still enjoy one with a tablespoon of HP sauce and a pint of ale. But good lord, they are a labor of love.

Never heard of a scotch egg.

Looked it up and now I gotta try that. And it does look like labor. But I gotta try!

Never heard of a scotch egg.

Looked it up and now I gotta try that. And it does look like labor. But I gotta try!

OMG!!! A hard boiled egg, wrapped in pork sausage, then breaded and deep fried ... might be the perfect food ... add hot sauce, tarter sauce, beer, & a shot of whiskey ... life is good!

OMG!!! A hard boiled egg, wrapped in pork sausage, then breaded and deep fried ... might be the perfect food ... add hot sauce, tarter sauce, beer, & a shot of whiskey ... life is good!

My thoughts too. That’s why I gotta make some..

If it’s anything like the tuna H20 posted it’s going to be good..

If it’s anything like the tuna H20 posted it’s going to be good..

Had them first in Europe, then here ... a great pub food with beer & friends ... think they would be perfect n a deer stand :emoji_wink:

I also like wrapping the egg in a slice of cheddar first...cheese on the inside is awesome, any type would work. I've also chopped scallions and jalapeños sprinkled on the flattened sausage so it is on inside. The combos you can make are endless. ...it can turn into a meal by itself.

We have experienced a SEVENTY degree temperature swing in 4 days: from -15 on Wednesday morning to 55 degrees this Sunday afternoon. I broke out the Weber grill and did some chicken breasts between two charcoal baskets, totally indirect. The sauce is called redneck teriyaki- it’s one part vegetable oil, one part soy sauce, and two parts A-1 steak sauce. Quick, easy, and oh so good...
8b9bd56cc6e8f81919258c88c0cadee2.jpg
be4f70e2b320837ad4b4406fe7f9a873.jpg

Stay tuned- while the grill is out of the barn I’m going to indirect cook some sausage patties for supper, and top them with sautéed peppers and onions! Who needs a “big game” when the main event is in the back yard?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wanted to experiment a bit, tried a twist on Asian beef an broccoli.

Mule deer backstrap an broccoli,
Washed down with some goose IPA

Only thing I would change from the recipe is to add dry chilly flake an a bit of fresh ginger an whole mustered seed from the start when cooking. I added it later when I found it kind of bland.

20190206_183541.jpg
20190206_190004.jpg

Today's thrown together version of red beans and rice, kidney beans/rice/carrots/peas/skinless sausage a little milk some shredded cheddar with a liberal dose of pepper and Tony's. For a spicy quick lunch with some leftovers for work.

3nOzfVX.jpg