What's for dinner?

Well, it's not for dinner but it is for breakfast.

Another instant pot creation.

Ingredients:
1/2 gallon of milk
A scoop of plain yogurt with live cultures.

The result:
(9) 8 ounce jars of yogurt. My wife is the "tree hugger" but she rubs off on me once in a while. She bought some really good granola that I drizzle with honey and cover it all with the yogurt. It's much like grape nuts. I struggle with breakfast because I hate to eat it. Always looking for something I can eat before I leave the house in the morning.

IMG_20190112_203005.jpg

IMG_20190112_203826.jpg

-John

Instant pot potatoes and ribs. Ribs finished in oven!!!
264ddfebc67e723c5c241bd9fc715e0d.jpg
d3ee43a38bbc4ece5cdff7c76a35309e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cooked up one of the top round roasts from my buck this year for meal prep for work.

I trussed the roast nice and tight, browned it hot and fast on all sides (the avocado oil was smoking) with salt • pepper • garlic powder • rosemary • juniper berries • and shallots, oven finished it at 425° for 20 minutes, then down to 300° until an internal temp of 127°, then let it rest in foil. Deglazed the pot with all the above mentioned spices/herbs with half a cup of beef stock, half a cup of Cabernet, and about an ounce of raspberry balsamic vinaigrette. Let the sauce reduce by 75% and then add a touch of starch to thicken.

Then, I served it on a roasted cabbage steak with a homemade thousand island dressing.

Dang I wish I had left one serving to eat for today!!!

ffa0d97490b3c54dd956016f5f211478.jpg

c0fbb8e587130fb71726aa7374b9fc83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then, I served it on a roasted cabbage steak with a homemade thousand island dressing.

"roasted cabbage steak" - are you sure you don't have a cooking show that I've seen? Pretty fancy, but looks even better to eat!

-John

That looks like prime rib Ikeman...well done!

Took some butterflied pork chops marinated them in zesty Italian in a freezer bag in fridge for two days, baked in covered casserole dish 275 for an hour and a half seasoned a little with pepper/tony's/oregano and you could cut them with a spoon.
Made rice/carrots/mushrooms cooked low and slow with a little milk, half can of cream of mushroom and shredded cheddar melted in.

u8MWqI5.jpg

"roasted cabbage steak" - are you sure you don't have a cooking show that I've seen? Pretty fancy, but looks even better to eat!

-John

Haha, I have just decided that I will REALLY master this whole “cooking game” idea so I can drag my family into eating it kicking and screaming.
I’ve just been paying a lot of attention to MeatEater, Scott Rea, Sous Vide Everything, and Gordon Ramsey to try to improve my skills.

I found this at the grocery store yesterday, never seen it in powder form before. We go through quite a bit of the liquid so I thought I'd try the powder and add it to my rib rub and other things.

T1NuZjv.jpg

I love Frank's. Nothing else is better on chicken. Nando's peri-peri sauce is a close second, though.

20190120_172213.jpg

Red deer stew with wild porcini and Guiness, root vegetable (potato, celeriac, carrot) mash with garlic butter and cream, and the green stuff is broccoli.

Anyone ever try the dry age bags for beef? They look interesting. Thinking about buying a prime like I did for Christmas Day, age it, then slice it into Rib-eye steaks. 60 days dry aged means I could be grilling them this spring.

-John

Anyone ever try the dry age bags for beef? They look interesting. Thinking about buying a prime like I did for Christmas Day, age it, then slice it into Rib-eye steaks. 60 days dry aged means I could be grilling them this spring.

-John

I tried dry aging once with a prime rib roast. The goal is to dry the outer meat so there is less moisture. When you cook or grill, the outer layer of meat drys & cooks much faster to form a crusty dry edge.

I used a plastic tube I could place in the lower bottom of the frig. I drilled lots of holes for air movement.

I only got to 3 weeks before I cooked it and it was great. Salt will accelerate drying. Real dry aging requires correct temperature nd humidity control.

Good luck!

Made a big batch up at my kids request......didn't last 24 hours!

agspZeU.jpg

Smash burgers! My wife loves Steak-N-Shake, so I’ve started doing them in the house on a carbon steel skillet. I placed them on cast iron griddles to melt the cheese in the oven at 250*f to keep them warm while I finish all the patties. I’m doing 1/8th of a pound patties to maximize the crust production here two patties per burger.
9ca3e7a06d4e69b94b8afce7324f26ca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smash burgers! My wife loves Steak-N-Shake, so I’ve started doing them in the house on a carbon steel skillet. I placed them on cast iron griddles to melt the cheese in the oven at 250*f to keep them warm while I finish all the patties. I’m doing 1/8th of a pound patties to maximize the crust production here two patties per burger.
9ca3e7a06d4e69b94b8afce7324f26ca.jpg

Please elaborate on the method! Those make me want to switch my diet from Busch lite to red meat!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Easy enough. Get a heavy skillet (I used a heavy carbon steel skillet for these, but cast iron works exceptionally well) very hot, then drop a ball of burger on the pan. Immediately smash it as flat as possible with a heavy spatula (don’t use one with holes or slots) and when they get a good crust on the bottom they should release from the pan. Scrape them off the pan, flip, and season. I placed bacon on top of these, then cheese, and popped them into a 250 degree oven to keep them warm and melt the cheese. I made 8 patties out of a pound of burger, it’s important to smash them thin because the flavor is all in the browned crust that develops.

Last edited: