What's budding?

bueller

What shrubs or trees have you found to be early or late budders?

Here in Northern IL chokeberries and lilacs are loaded with buds that are just starting to break open. At the same time false indigos still have no signs of buds even swelling or beginning to form.

Red maple here at home in S.E. Pa. Buds swelling and fire-red now. Also Redspire ornamental pear here.

Just today we saw tiny green tips poking out of the invasive honeysuckle located low in the protected valleys of central PA. Its usually the first one to pop and I would guess that its 3-4 weeks early this year. Too bad that its very invasive here.

Cottoneaster shrub buds are breaking here. Silver maples are blooming.

In S Jersey I just noticed buds breaking on some elderberrys I planted in the yard. Weeping willow buds and forsythia buds are starting to swell.

If it stays like this the magnolia will be flowering in a week or so.

Central PA..lilac and 3 seedling pears in a Blue-x tubes.

Elderberry and chokeberry are just starting to break bud in Central WI. Hazelnuts still look dormant as can be.

Bush honey suckle is greening up, buckeye is budding and the bradford pears are showing signs of life as well. Also saw some stilt grass as well. Notice anything? Yep, these are all pretty much useless or worse from a wildlife perspective! However the clover is greening up as well.

I "hunt" the bush honeysuckle on my place this time of year with pruners and tordon. I look for any shrub with green leaves on it and then do some further investigation.....99% of the time is bush honeysuckle and it gets a snip and a squirt!

5BB091F2-315E-4B4A-9328-7DE1230FFE0B_zpsxqwakykh.jpg

Things really slowed down here in the last 10 days or so, not much change. But I did have to mow the lawn for the first time yesterday.

I was out yesterday and spring is progressing right along here. The may-apples are showing up and the wild cherry trees are showing some leaves as well.

Maples starting to open leaves now, oak tree buds are swelling. Profusion crab in my yard will be blooming soon, Redspire ornamental pear is in full flower. Green " haze " on trees can be seen around local hills and farms.