What would you do?

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
I've got a Winesap tree that I bought from a big box store 4 years ago. It hasn't really grown at all since, as I've had to cut back the central leader due to dieback a couple years ago. Nothing has grown well enough to take it's place. This year the branches left on it only grew a few inches, but a root sucker put on 5 feet of growth!
PXL_20221004_212337086.jpg
I'm thinking I should cut off the old trunk down at ground level, and graft a new Winesap scion to that new root sucker, rather than cut off the sucker and hope for a better result from the old tree.

What would you do?

Has anyone tried this before?

I have done exactly as you have suggested and the second graft and growth did way better than the first.
The first tree runting-out could be caused by a failing graft joint or just a weak scion on the original graft.
On my tree, it was shaded, the second growth grew after I had removed some nearby trees and allowed more sunlight in. The oricinal tree had already matured and was short for that rootstock. The new graft is at least 5 feet taller.I would graft to the new sprout and when It overtakes the original tree, cut the original off at the ground. Make wure you give it a few cuts of 12-12-12 fertilizer in April / May and in May/ June

I've got a Winesap tree that I bought from a big box store 4 years ago. It hasn't really grown at all since, as I've had to cut back the central leader due to dieback a couple years ago. Nothing has grown well enough to take it's place. This year the branches left on it only grew a few inches, but a root sucker put on 5 feet of growth!
View attachment 46464
I'm thinking I should cut off the old trunk down at ground level, and graft a new Winesap scion to that new root sucker, rather than cut off the sucker and hope for a better result from the old tree.

What would you do?

Has anyone tried this before?

Do you have winterburn(sunscauld) on the trunk? If so, do something to prevent it on the rootsucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a couple spots where the bark has cracked. The bottom foot or so was painted. All of my trees will be getting another coat, covering the bottom 3 or 4 feet in a couple weeks.