what will we get ?

Bc4abc

5 year old buck +
My brother has grown about 15 apple trees from seed .. the seed came from store bought apples, different varieties. From what I understand, when growing from seed we likely will not get the fruit originally bought at the store. I've been told more than likely they will be crab apples?

Can someone enlighten me on what we prob will end up with?

Thanks

B.

I've been told nothing but spitters. I would say that is for a good chance of happening. However if been watching videos on YouTube of a guy who does this and has got some decent apples growing from seed. I don't think any are exceptional but some were decent. The only other thing you run into is unknown disease resistance

My brother has grown about 15 apple trees from seed .. the seed came from store bought apples, different varieties. From what I understand, when growing from seed we likely will not get the fruit originally bought at the store. I've been told more than likely they will be crab apples?

Can someone enlighten me on what we prob will end up with?

Thanks

B.

"Crab apples" can be used in different ways. In this context, what they mean is that you will have an apple tree with unknown fruiting characteristics. Apples have a very wide variety of fruiting characteristics from tiny ornamental crabs that nothing eats to large eating apples and everything between. I'm growing lots of apple seedlings from seed. These are for deer and deer will enjoy a much wider range of apples than humans. I like the idea of having genetic diversity. Named apple varieties are all clones from a single tree that have been asexually propagated and grown for many years. They have stagnated genetically while disease and insects continue to evolve. Large stands of the identical tree become targets for disease.

So, I'm growing apples from seed, but I'm hedging my bets. I'm planting these seedlings in the field and grafting them above the first few branches. I'm using disease varieties of apples and crabapples with known fruiting characteristics. The first few branches will be from the native sexually propagated tree and the rest will be the known variety. When I get an apple from the lower branches whose characteristics I like, I will collect scions from those branches and use them to graft other trees. This way I get both a sure thing as well as the possible jack pot of a new apple with great characteristics.

So, the problem that you will end up with is a set of trees that could yield from nothing to something great and it will take you years to find out. If you graft those seedlings you can have the best of both worlds.

These two threads show what I'm doing with apples:
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/apple-planning-phase-transfered-from-qdma-forum.5536/
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/starting-apples-from-seed-indoors-how-to.6613/

Thanks,

Jack

"Crab apples" can be used in different ways. In this context, what they mean is that you will have an apple tree with unknown fruiting characteristics. Apples have a very wide variety of fruiting characteristics from tiny ornamental crabs that nothing eats to large eating apples and everything between. I'm growing lots of apple seedlings from seed. These are for deer and deer will enjoy a much wider range of apples than humans. I like the idea of having genetic diversity. Named apple varieties are all clones from a single tree that have been asexually propagated and grown for many years. They have stagnated genetically while disease and insects continue to evolve. Large stands of the identical tree become targets for disease.

So, I'm growing apples from seed, but I'm hedging my bets. I'm planting these seedlings in the field and grafting them above the first few branches. I'm using disease varieties of apples and crabapples with known fruiting characteristics. The first few branches will be from the native sexually propagated tree and the rest will be the known variety. When I get an apple from the lower branches whose characteristics I like, I will collect scions from those branches and use them to graft other trees. This way I get both a sure thing as well as the possible jack pot of a new apple with great characteristics.

So, the problem that you will end up with is a set of trees that could yield from nothing to something great and it will take you years to find out. If you graft those seedlings you can have the best of both worlds.

These two threads show what I'm doing with apples:
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/apple-planning-phase-transfered-from-qdma-forum.5536/
http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/starting-apples-from-seed-indoors-how-to.6613/

Thanks,

Jack
That is a great response thanks jack!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For every spitter there is the potential for something worthwhile. With that said you might go through a lot of spitters before finding a winner but they are out there! IF you want something with a known "X" then you go with what already exists, but if you want to experiment with it then go for it. The chances are better if you go with a small u-pick orchard apple as there will be multiple varieties in a small area. A variety of cross pollination opportunities are then possible. Most of the commercial orchards stick with large blocks of the same variety with only a crabapple pollinator every so many trees to insure pollination and to make spraying and picking easier. Those are the ones that likely end up in the grocery store and have far less of a chance of producing a winner.

I started apples from seed during three different years and selected wild crabs/apples from our area. I have a variety of apple sizes and drop times. Some are hardy, some are slow growers(just throw them out), a few are decent to eat ( if you like crab apples).

I have topworked some of those that are bird sized crabs.

I started apples from seed during three different years and selected wild crabs/apples from our area. I have a variety of apple sizes and drop times. Some are hardy, some are slow growers(just throw them out), a few are decent to eat ( if you like crab apples).

I have topworked some of those that are bird sized crabs.

20170513_163355.jpg

Here is a picture from bloom time this spring. One or two were topworked as you can see. There are a few plums(white blossoms in the center back).

Multi colored blooms from the same seed collection.

Very nice @sandbur