What to do with standing switch

Plain and simple, prairie plantings need fire for the best continued results.

That is probably 100% correct if you want continued prairie.

In my situation I’m finding lots of red cedars growing in my switch. I know they are a problem for some. But around me cedar thickets are the ticket for deer bedding in the early stages. When I mowed, I mowed around the cedars.

I’m actually hoping the switch eventually succumbs to the cedars or grows sparsely among them. That may not be a good 40 year plan. But I’ll be dead then. And I’ll have killed some good bucks leaving thermal cover.

I have since found a video by Jeff Sturgis that does a pretty good job explaining how to seed and manage switch grass with chemicals.

That is probably 100% correct if you want continued prairie.

In my situation I’m finding lots of red cedars growing in my switch. I know they are a problem for some. But around me cedar thickets are the ticket for deer bedding in the early stages. When I mowed, I mowed around the cedars.

I’m actually hoping the switch eventually succumbs to the cedars or grows sparsely among them. That may not be a good 40 year plan. But I’ll be dead then. And I’ll have killed some good bucks leaving thermal cover.

Then the next person will have the fun of doing it all over again when the cedars run their course.

Then the next person will have the fun of doing it all over again when the cedars run their course.

That’s true. Maybe I’ll start a annual thinning of cedars in few years. Cut then big ones and try to keep them under 15 foot tall.

But I’ll be dead then. And I’ll have killed some good bucks leaving thermal cover.

Not that you will be dead but that you said it made me laugh.

That’s true. Maybe I’ll start a annual thinning of cedars in few years. Cut then big ones and try to keep them under 15 foot tall.
Id stick with annual thinning of mature bucks! That sounds like a better plan!

When does 2nd year switch start to green up? I have something greening up in my switch but I don’t think it’s the switch. Nothing at the base of the existing clumps. I think it is foxtail returning. I might hit the field with Glyphosate this week.

1E0D54B4-E063-4E5A-8E84-52A21BEE0DBF.jpeg

Hard to tell but I doubt it’s switch unless you’ve had some really warm nights.

Reactions: Rit
Don Higgins told me if you can't burn, don't bother planting it.

Don is a smart guy but he may not know everything. My NWSGs have been established 9 years and never been burned.

vXY8cxph.jpg

RodksHvh.jpg

In9LdLYh.jpg

Hard to tell but I doubt it’s switch unless you’ve had some really warm nights.
We haven’t really had many warm nights. It may have broken 50 a few times in the last week.

We haven’t really had many warm nights. It may have broken 50 a few times in the last week.

Switch can germinate at 50 degrees “soil” temperature. http://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soil-temperature
But it will be really slow until it hits 60 degrees. I highly doubt what you’re seeing is switch. But if you’re going to spray don’t wait much longer.

Switch can germinate at 50 degrees “soil” temperature. http://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soil-temperature
But it will be really slow until it hits 60 degrees. I highly doubt what you’re seeing is switch. But if you’re going to spray don’t wait much longer.
That’s a nice link thanks. 5 day average is showing 47 degrees, current soil temp is 54 and 24 hour average is 57.

I don’t think it’s switch as it’s already about 4 inches tall. I am going to take a closer look at it today. I just don’t have any patience. I want my habitat improvements and I want them now. Good info.

I can’t burn mine but I cut it short and it’s stays thick

I mowed the thin spots in mine and plan on spraying it with gly this Saturday to kill the cool season grass that's there.
I left at least 50% of it standing so there's still cover there for whatever wildlife is using it.