All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHAT HAPPENS IF I DO THIS TO B-118

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have some B-118 trees that are HUGE, probably 25 feet tall. What would happen if I cut the central leader at about 18 or 19 feet. They are 10 years old. Is it going to cause laterals to shoot out everywhere at the top1/4?

It is generally accepted that topping any tree will adversely affect tree health and possibly cause it to die sooner than normal.

Please tell us what type of apple they produce, when they drop, and do they show any signs of CAR?

are they a decent eating apple?

We had a post about 6 months ago where one lady described the B 118 apples, but it would be nice to have a verification.

Please tell us what type of apple they produce, when they drop, and do they show any signs of CAR?

are they a decent eating apple?

We had a post about 6 months ago where one lady described the B 118 apples, but it would be nice to have a verification.
X2

I assume the original poster is talking about trees grafted on B118 rootstock rather than full grown B118 trees. I would think an aggressive pruning as posed would be similar to any work trying to rrehabilitate mature trees. There are pruning guidelines for this.

A B118 tree and apple look like this http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/....ca/kentville/pubs/fact01-01/b118/index_e.htm

I assume the original poster is talking about trees grafted on B118 rootstock rather than full grown B118 trees. I would think an aggressive pruning as posed would be similar to any work trying to rrehabilitate mature trees. There are pruning guidelines for this.

A B118 tree and apple look like this http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/....ca/kentville/pubs/fact01-01/b118/index_e.htm
I see the link says Moscow Pear, M8 and M9. Is that what we call B118?

The trees are actually 12 year old Red Rome. I did not know anything about pruning, training, planting, caging or anything else back then. They were trees in a pot and went in all directions for years. I have finally get them back to a central leader form and they are great producers. They are just so freaking tall it is really hard to keep the top laterals pruned back. Was just wondering what would happen if I headed of the central leader right above the last row of laterals that I want. I knew it wasn't likely to be good, but thought I would ask. Finally if the have standard trees anymore these may be standards and not B-118.

Cut it back to a weak side branch, preferable one you think is going to fruit. You will probably get some uprights, but not as much as if you just lopped off the top. I like it keep mine at about 16' or so.

Last edited:
It's a little hard to see in this pic, but this was brought down from about 20' to 16'. It was cut back to that small branch going slightly to the right. If you can get a small weak one that is going to fruit it will stay small and a lot of the energy will go to the fruit. The problem as the others have said, if you do it wrong it will bush out at the top, which is the worst thing you can do to the trees. Always keep them thin at the top so you get good light throughout the tree. Keep in mind you will have to work on them every year or two if you are going to down size them.DSCN2591.JPG

Thanks Maya. I see where it has been cut back to that lateral. If we do NOT count the top lateral, did you trim back the third lateral from the top lateral. It points toward the photographer and looks like it has a lateral on it that falls directly under the main lateral. Did you cut it out?

Yes, I thinned back the top a lot, some dutch cuts and some flush. There were several aggressive ones that would have just shot up. I like those tops thin, so anything really shooting up has a date w/ the burn pile!

How does that tree not send up shoots when the top is cut?

I see where it says B118 on the top of the page. Thanks!