What did this?

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Was out walking on the property yesterday and came across this. It is a cedar tree that appears to have been rubbed. The top of the tree was also broken off. The problem is that the top of the rub is at ~ 7 feet and the bottom starts at around 3 feet. My walking stick with the glove is 5.5 feet.

What could have done this?

big rub 1.jpg

big rub 3.jpg

big rub 2.jpg

Black Bear. I've seen trees torn apart up to about 9 feet. That is how they mark territory. It's like a scrape though in that every bear in the area will visit it.

It doesn't really look like porky damage, cougar or bear?

If it was from bear scratching there would be bark on ground around tree. With lack of shredded bark on ground tells me that what ever did it ate the bark.

We do have bears. Maybe I should put a camera on in the area. Some of the rubs almost fresh.

If it was from bear scratching there would be bark on ground around tree. With lack of shredded bark on ground tells me that what ever did it ate the bark.

Hard to tell what is on the ground with the snow.

sure looks like an elk rub to me. I'm not betting my life on it, but it's not that huge of a stretch to think one wandered through.

Bear is a possibility, but all the trees I've seen bear tear up had all sorts of claw marks.

sure looks like an elk rub to me. I'm not betting my life on it, but it's not that huge of a stretch to think one wandered through.

Bear is a possibility, but all the trees I've seen bear tear up had all sorts of claw marks.

Steve .... That was my first impression. The tree is smooth with no real claw marks. The shredded bark is at the bottom & top of the rub as if antlers were going up and down.

Looks like elk or moose rub to me too, but don't know how likely either of those would have showed up at your place.

Bear last fall as they are still napping now, possible porky but imo bear.

Not saying it isn't bear but usually there will be claw marks, bite marks or black hair and I could not see any of that. I have saw plenty of trees marked by bear and at least one of the above clues will be there. I guess the only way to tell for sure would be to put trailcam out and see what visits it.

Bear will not shred a tree up that much. A porky eats bark he doesn't shred it either. That is a rub of some sorts. if it is 7' it isn't a deer. Moose or elk

Looks just like the elk rubs we saw all over the place in Colorado last year. Many of those would be 7-8 feet high. Some appeared like the tree had been bent over, snapped off and then stood back up.

I guess a moose would do the same.

That's crazy. The bears by me leave deep claw marks in the tree. I have never seen them spend that much time marking their spot. I have porkys that eat white pines by me, but they are smooth and stripped clean, not shredded up. It does look like a elk rub I seen in the rockies, but they were not 7 ft up. One time my friends put rubs all around one of their hunting buddys stand for a joke, they were big, but not to that extreme.

That doesn't look like a bear's marking post to me. On my property they always leave deep claw marks and there's almost always long black hairs stuck in the tree.

I agree that it looks like it was rubbed by a bull elk.

one of your hunting buddies screwing with your head...:confused::D

or a trespasser who made a mock rub ???? :eek: