What Bush Hog to get?

Steve Bartylla

5 year old buck +
I just found out that Bush Hog will be sponsoring my soon to be released Hunt `em Big web show. The ad guy thinks he can hook me up with one. Obviously, I've used Bush Hogs in the past, but never looked at buying one. So, I was hoping you guys could make me look smart and tell me which one I should get. HP for the tractor won't be an issue, particularly considering it will be used a bunch for in woods plots and that makes anything over a 10 footer too big, as I leave a fair amount of high stumps in what I refer to as clover snake trails to hang licking branches off of. Thinking even a 10 footer is pushing it.

http://www.bushhog.com/

P.S. I may never get rich doing this, but I sure do like getting all these toys...2 pairs of Muck Boots showed up today, as well.

I would go with the width of your tractor.

Which one should you get?......if its free?

The biggest f-ing one they got!

I like them to have a cutting width to be just as wide as the tractor you are going to use. I will say a traditional rotary style mower can make navigating tight areas more difficult. For tight spaces a flail type mower would be much better but I don't know if they make such a model. I also prefer a heavy duty model as they can chew up saplings and the like as well as clip your plots.

My tractor is 60" wide and I just got a Bush Hog Squealer in 60" width. It's a medium duty cutter.....up to 2" material. I prefer to not get too tail heavy with a heavier duty model. Lets me make trails thru the woods. Sometimes, for mowing clover and plots a little wider cutter would be nice.....but for all-around land management I like the tractor width.

How big of tractor do you have to operate the cutter? HP? General rule for smaller tractors is 5HP per foot of cutter.

U know Steve u could get a 5'er and sell it to me at a dirt cheap price??? I've got a 6', but id like one just a little smaller.

Wide enough to cover the wheel tracks of the tractor. After all your not mowing hay.

I've found just inside the wheels to be the best. Then you know that if the tractor fits through the 2 trees then the Bushhog will too. I've got a 6 foot squealer that works really well. Bush Hog is a good heavy duty machine compared to most other brands.

What tooln said. Just wider than whatever width you have your rears set at, but remember that most trailers are maybe 7 ft between fenders unless you have a deck over. I have a 6 ft cutter that fits ok on my trailer when I have the bars which hold my ramps vertical and they go along each side of my cutter. Better to get medium duty and a little narrower than wider and lighter duty (if they have some sort of price range for their freebie). Off course my cutter bounces off rocks more than anything so medium is good since my gearbox is still going strong after 10 years.

Slip clutch only (no shear bolt nonsense) Guard chains front and back of cutter. Laminated strips of rubber that make up the tail wheel. Pretty much indestructible.

30 hp or less at pto - 5 fter
35-45 hp - 6 fter
50+ hp - 7 fter
Go bigger maybe if you never have to trailer......

My .02 cents

7' cutter is going to make turning a chore on smaller plots and trails. That thing's going to be 9' behind you before the tail wheel is added on.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a pull behind. They may not come smaller than 10' and I don't know if brush hog makes one.

I went from a 7 foot 3 point to a 10 foot pull behind and will NEVER go back. With a 3 point when the tractor is going down hill but the mower is still going up hill your going to shave the top of the hill and get that horrible clacking noise when the blades hit dirt. Pull behinds articulate much better and reduce that issue by 95%.

Not to mention they corner better and back into tight spots better.

If I was getting a free one, I'd get a slip clutch. I've been pounding the crap out of mine and the shear pin does its job. I have to replace it matter of fact

Thanks, Guys....extremely helpful

Steve,
Are you going to trailer this equipment? Might factor into what size you want to go. Even if I had a tractor which could handle a 10 ft Hog, would not want to trailer it all over the place.