What Bud Stage are your Apples at?

Macouns are a real pain!
And mine are really loaded this year but the tree is upright and strong lol. Many blossoms on central leader

And mine are really loaded this year but the tree is upright and strong lol. Many blossoms on central leader

They really love to clump up in groups of 3-4's, don't let them or you will have real small apples. They fruit regularly though, even if they are not thinned well. They also have real short stems and will drop as soon as they start to mature. Single fruits will hang a little longer.

We had our spring work detail at camp this past weekend. Apple and crab blooms are all over the place. Liberty is in full bloom, Nova Scotia crab, Hyslop crabs blooming, as well as N.Y. 35 Bonkers. 1 rootstock crab is snow white with blossoms, don't have any idea what kind of fruit it will produce. The remainder of our trees are at varying stages from tight cluster to pink / king blossom.

One thing we all noticed is our oldest apple trees ( somewhere between 60 years and 80 years ?? - maybe older ) are LOADED with blossoms. The one old tree was surrounded by big pines and had quit fruiting except for 3 or 4 apples until we released it 2 years ago. That tree now looks like a snowstorm !!! Solid white. Releasing and pruning out the dead wood is all we did. Anxious to see how much fruit it puts out this year.

Trees blooming all over northern PA this weekend. Amazing how many forgotten or wild trees there are. Especially down in the creek bottoms.

My 3rd leaf trees are all flowering except for a honey crisp. Managed to collect some pollen from Liberty on flowers not open yet. Lots of my 2015 bench grafts and tbuds were flowering too. I did not have time to pull flowers so I'll be thinning but hand over the next couple months. Here is a Kerr whip, 2015 tbud on G222.
20170429_192651.jpg

IMG_3373.JPG Jonagold 12th leaf from Morse Nursery and has only produced apples maybe 4 times. I think this year should be the exception

Looks like you'll be busy this fall, Aero. Got storage space ??? :emoji_grin:

Looks like you'll be busy this fall, Aero. Got storage space ??? :emoji_grin:
I think I will be pressing a lot of juice and making a lot of hard cider hiccup We are getting hit with strong storm now so hoping all goes well in the next hour. Blowing like crazy. Hope no hail

Looking good!

Storm has yet to hit down here. I hope all our ( guys on the forum ) trees and property are spared. Relatives and friends in Lycoming Co. posting pix of damage. BIG trees down around Lyco.

We're about to get it in the next half hour....SMH

Man is that cool Paul , thanks for sharing those pictures, makes me glean about what the future could hold for me at my spot.

What do you think the rootstock of that Jonagold from Morse was? My Jonagold on Antonovka i field grafted last year grew like gangbusters.

Projecting lows near 31 again tonight at my farm. Not happy!

They are now saying 32 for us tonight, clear and no wind. Normally I'm colder than what the weather reports say. I'm at pink to bloom depending on variety. I will be burning and running fans....SMH

Last edited: