What Bud Stage are your Apples at?

Nausea? This is the wrong forum to be nauseated over grafting. Grafting is as B.A. as it goes, lol.......

I could look at these kinds of pics for hourse, but i'm unstable. :)

Nice looking project there Maya.

Maya - Are there any " rules of thumb " for apple tree nutrition ?? I realize we all have different soils and should have soil tests done, but I'm wondering if there are some common-thread " must-haves " in the way of apple nutrition. Does your experience with the crop service point out any such things ??

Most of the granular fertilizers we use commonly are N-P-K and there's certainly more to apple nutrition than just those 3. Can we get enough of the essential " goodies " from compost, like micronutrients ?? For those of us that have a good number of trees, is leaf analysis by a university a sensible thing to undertake, or is it cost prohibitive ?? ( My camp grows for deer - mainly. I have a sense our members will take some home. 72 trees as of this spring. They are scattered around the property. )

I have read before that calcium & Zinc are important, I doubt my sandy more acidic soil supplies much of those 2.

There is a lot to it. Maybe we can start another thread. I've got some buddies coming over in a bit to get started on my barn, so I don't have time right now, but I will look up a good article to get the ball rolling, and we can go from there. I'll post something by tomorrow morning.

One good thing to keep in mind. When doing any kind of nutrition program, whether it be commercially or just for a backyard grower you are essentially fertilizing this year, for next. Yes, N will help shoot out some growth and should be done early on (around bud break to 1/2" green) but other nutrients such as P, K, boron & zinc, etc should be thought of more long term. Early bud formation is dependant upon stored nutrients.

Anyways, give me a bit and I'll try to come up with something to start things off that will be geared for the backyard grower/ deer manager.

Stopped by the farm on the way home from work last night, everything is full leaf now.

Only had a couple in bloom right now, the cherry and peach trees are done blooming.

Kieffer pear planted last spring;

Golden Hornet planted this spring;

Liberty planted this spring;

Only took a couple more days for the apples to start.

Gala
20170424_074301.jpg

Zestar
20170426_082159.jpg

Granny Smith
20170426_082218.jpg

Red Delicious
20170426_082235.jpg
We've got 10 straight days of overnight lows forcasted in the 30's. Just hoping one night doesn't decide to drop lower.

IMG_3355.JPG I think this Honeycrisp will need some serious thinning this year!!! Hope I can get it done with carabyl

My Asians are just starting to open.

DSCN3601.JPG

These Galarina's are down in a hole and are behind everything else, maybe 1/2" green.

DSCN3606.JPG

We have some low temps coming in the next 3 days. Low of 31 Friday morning. My dad said a few trees were blooming on Monday. Really hoping we can avoid a late frost this year. 2016 was brutal.

Well I'm up by Duluth and it's snowing and freezing rain I hope my trees are ok back home.

At what temp do you see damage done to apple trees? Suppose to get down to 32 the next few nights. Our trees are just starting to bloom.

George

My Asians are scaring me and a lot of buds are drying out and the branches are dead. Wtf but my apples will be blooming amazing if we don't get freeze. It's my nutrition program that is working.....no apples the year before and booooommmmm this year is da bomb. I will need thinning help on almost all my trees but really worried about Asian pears

We have some low temps coming in the next 3 days. Low of 31 Friday morning. My dad said a few trees were blooming on Monday. Really hoping we can avoid a late frost this year. 2016 was brutal.
31 shouldn't hurt you too bad Matt but hope it's higher

31 shouldn't hurt you too bad Matt but hope it's higher
Last year I think they were expecting 31 and we got 24 =(

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Let year I think they were expecting 31 and we got 24 =(

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Cmon Matt be positive lol. Get the fires burning

We are going to dip back down around the freezing mark again for a couple of nights. Hope we dont get any colder.

Come to PA we don't have any sub freezing temps in 10 day forecast