What’s the skinny on locust trees?

the deer I hunt favor honey locust, and pods drop Nov - Jan. In open field areas they will spread by seed and be out of control. Lots of overgrown honeylocust / cedar fields around here. In the woods they don't spread out. Not that competitive with bigger trees. On one wooded property I hunt, I introduced hl from seed by throwing out a bushel of pods in a clearing. The other place I hunt has hl in distinct woods openings. I kill the competitors to keep the hl going. Whenever I find one, I open up around it and give it some lime. They will never be a problem with tires or picnickers or sheep, and provide late season nutrition.
Late doe season the honey locusts are a sure draw.
But back before the turn of the century, I spent many a saturday cutting and piling hl and cedar. We didn't have deer then. Fields were supposed to be naked.

Black locusts are good for beautiful flowers, seeds for turkeys, and excellent firewood.

PS many hl in both my hunt areas (VA) had significant disease losses the past quinquennial. anybody know what it is and how to treat it?