Well it's not real pretty but ...

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
considering the lack of rain I think it will be OK once fall rains start (crossed fingers) ..the brassicas are jumping pretty good and the groundhog radishes are going to town ..finally seeing the 3 clovers making headway (crimson, frosty & balansa) ..chicory is doing well as is the light inclusion of wheat ..
The only significance to any of this is this field was my learning ground for my new/used 3P606NT first use ...

Bear

Attachments

• first planting.jpeg
    first planting.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 62
I don't think the critters will mind the esthetics of your plot. With this drought, drills have been a plot saver this year.

I'd take it! Forecast show chance of rain 4 times over the weekend. 0 happened.

I still haven’t planted yet. Ha
IMG_2202.png

You know “Obewan” I know what you are saying and I myself have subscribed to the same mind set but I have to tell you 6 six Sundays ago after church I collared the best farmer I know of in five counties about this very issue ..
He said two things.. seed can’t sprout in the bag .. then went on to say if you can notill do it as there is more moisture there than you think
I realized as soon as he said it that my measure of when/if to pull the planting trigger was based on tilled ground or broadcast seeding
He was right as my notill stuff is doing OK and my broadcast rye not so OK
Something else I will throw out .. walk you field .. find a rock and pick it up and if the dirt under it is darker than the surrounding dirt and will clump when squeezed you do have more moisture than you may realize
The gamble of course is still in play that once up it will need some rain but fall seed are far more resilient than warm season plants
Bear

You know “Obewan” I know what you are saying and I myself have subscribed to the same mind set but I have to tell you 6 six Sundays ago after church I collared the best farmer I know of in five counties about this very issue ..
He said two things.. seed can’t sprout in the bag .. then went on to say if you can notill do it as there is more moisture there than you think
I realized as soon as he said it that my measure of when/if to pull the planting trigger was based on tilled ground or broadcast seeding
He was right as my notill stuff is doing OK and my broadcast rye not so OK
Something else I will throw out .. walk you field .. find a rock and pick it up and if the dirt under it is darker than the surrounding dirt and will clump when squeezed you do have more moisture than you may realize
The gamble of course is still in play that once up it will need some rain but fall seed are far more resilient than warm season plants
Bear
A local farmer drilled rye into a harvested corn silage field early September. It is about 3" tall now. Before the recent 3-4" of rain there was not any measurable rain in the last 60+ days.

If drilling there is always enough moisture to germinate. That does not mean the what does germinate will not whither up and die without moisture or shade (exactly what happened to most of my brassica and clover this fall)

Yes I agree and qualified the rain required after sprouting.. the point is if the seed like rye which is fairly cheap is not in the ground it can never be in play

Bear

You know, I have often said the same myself. This time, I’m not sure. It hasn’t rained much here for 3 months with average high of 95. It’s bone dry.

I could drill it at 2” and find some moisture, but that has its own problems.

I might drill some tomorrow and see how it goes. But I can almost guarantee it won’t germinate till it rains. Honestly the biggest issue is it will be a dust bowl while I’m drilling. Will have to blow out the radiator every hour.

Well we are about the same here except we are starting to get pop up unannounced non forecast rains ..yes small .04 .12 but getting one such once or twice a week ..

bear

I want rain. I don't think any of mine are going to grow.

For those logging remote data, What website are you all tracking rainfall from ?

My nephew who helps me on the farm supplies me with the farm rain info and I was assuming he was getting it from his live via cell transmiting solar powered trail cameras that grow like Thistle on my farm .. but I will ask him
Bear

For those logging remote data, What website are you all tracking rainfall from ?

I use agrible.com and the associated pocket rain gauge app. It was pretty simple when I signed up a couple years ago and seems a bit more complicated to start now but it's free and good info.

I am beginning to think my broadcasted rye in the driest County in michigan is not going to sprout. Another week of no rain forecasted. I'm curious for no till if it doesn't sprout this year will the seed still be viable next year. Or would a spring planting of rye be ready to crimp by September next year.

P

I am wondering if you know what an ugly plot looks like....... Seen alot worse. Get bag of rye and toss it into the hand spreader. Get the rough spots before the rain.

Thinking I am banned from daikon raddish. Wife hated the smell of rotted cabbage / kimchi. Just seeing deer pull up the rotted roots and eating them made me wanna puke. Won't see that on a hunting magazine cover....... Did wonders for my clay based food plot at home though. Up at camp is sand, roots come easy, nutrients not so much......

I am beginning to think my broadcasted rye in the driest County in michigan is not going to sprout. Another week of no rain forecasted. I'm curious for no till if it doesn't sprout this year will the seed still be viable next year. Or would a spring planting of rye be ready to crimp by September next year.

P
Yes on spring planting. And, patience. Rye will germinate with any rain and temps above freezing.