Annual plot mix - thoughts?

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
Some of you have seen my bean failure post. I was looking for something to overseed this fall to provide the deer something to munch on this fall and next spring and also provide some cover to keep down the weeds until we are ready to plant corn and beans in the spring. Missouri Southern Seed sells a couple cover crop mixes; one of them is called “Fix n Mix” (supposedly for its nitrogen fixing capabilities). This mix contains the following:
- Frosty berseem
- Crimson clover
- Daikon radishes

I added 40-50# of rye per acre along with some ground hog radishes. We drilled the mix above at a rate of 5# per acre along with the rye and GHR. We drilled this mix straight into what’s left of the bean crop (which are still being hammered and all still very green) last Saturday after hitting it Friday with fly. We have had a couple timely rains this past week as well. I was out to check on it today and to my surprise it’s really starting to take off in only a week. Anyone planted a similar mix? Curious how this will fare for this fall. I’ve never planted annual clovers so a little unsure what to expect for growth rates and deer preference of these clovers/daikons.

The deer where I live turn their noses at turnips, but they hit daikon radishes pretty hard. The annual clovers are eaten well too. I've been mixing some annuals in with my fall mixes for a while now and feel that the fast fall growth is worth it.

On thing about daikon radishes - once they germinate, they are really drought tolerant. I'm in a 22+ day drought right now and the radishes, along with the wheat look pretty good. They got one good rain after I did throw and mow, and now 22+ days. The bare spots in my picture below is in the driest area of the plots, and I don't think the clover ever germinated. I hope it does and fills in everything.

MUSHtOP.jpg

This is the best area of the plot that gets some shade. It also had some buckwheat and sunhemp to fill in the gaps.

mDewsXU.jpg

PS: Those pics were taken sometime around 20 days with no rain - give or take a day. They are on low ground and dews have been good - otherwise the would look like toast now I think.

The deer where I live turn their noses at turnips, but they hit daikon radishes pretty hard. The annual clovers are eaten well too. I've been mixing some annuals in with my fall mixes for a while now and feel that the fast fall growth is worth it.

On thing about daikon radishes - once they germinate, they are really drought tolerant. I'm in a 22+ day drought right now and the radishes, along with the wheat look pretty good. They got one good rain after I did throw and mow, and now 22+ days. The bare spots in my picture below is in the driest area of the plots, and I don't think the clover ever germinated. I hope it does and fills in everything.

MUSHtOP.jpg

This is the best area of the plot that gets some shade. It also had some buckwheat and sunhemp to fill in the gaps.

mDewsXU.jpg
Looks great! Have you used crimson or frosty berseem clover much? I’m intrigued by the frosty berseem. If the deer like this mix I’ll plant it every fall as a cover crop. The deer have hammered by brassicas and radishes in the past.

Looks great! Have you used crimson or frosty berseem clover much? I’m intrigued by the frosty berseem. If the deer like this mix I’ll plant it every fall as a cover crop. The deer have hammered by brassicas and radishes in the past.

I used both Frosty Berseem and Crimson last year with good results. I remember seeing the Berseem, because it reminded me somewhat of alfalfa. I didn't notice the Berseem much next spring, but the Crimson was strong.

This year the only annual clover I used was Crimson. I was more interested in getting some perennial clovers established.

I used both Frosty Berseem and Crimson last year with good results. I remember seeing the Berseem, because it reminded me somewhat of alfalfa. I didn't notice the Berseem much next spring, but the Crimson was strong.

This year the only annual clover I used was Crimson. I was more interested in getting some perennial clovers established.
I’m so used to perennial clovers that I was surprised to see the pretty rapid germination of the annuals that were planted just a week ago. Looking forward to seeing what kind of growth I can get in the next 2 months or so.

I’m so used to perennial clovers that I was surprised to see the pretty rapid germination of the annuals that were planted just a week ago. Looking forward to seeing what kind of growth I can get in the next 2 months or so.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

If you familiar with "LC mix" I'd check it out. I plant a mix of about 100#/acre rye, 48#/acre oats, 5# radish, a splash of left over soybeans, and sometimes medium red clover. I just drilled it through my weak bean plots, as you did.

Some of you have seen my bean failure post. I was looking for something to overseed this fall to provide the deer something to munch on this fall and next spring and also provide some cover to keep down the weeds until we are ready to plant corn and beans in the spring. Missouri Southern Seed sells a couple cover crop mixes; one of them is called “Fix n Mix” (supposedly for its nitrogen fixing capabilities). This mix contains the following:
- Frosty berseem
- Crimson clover
- Daikon radishes

I added 40-50# of rye per acre along with some ground hog radishes. We drilled the mix above at a rate of 5# per acre along with the rye and GHR. We drilled this mix straight into what’s left of the bean crop (which are still being hammered and all still very green) last Saturday after hitting it Friday with fly. We have had a couple timely rains this past week as well. I was out to check on it today and to my surprise it’s really starting to take off in only a week. Anyone planted a similar mix? Curious how this will fare for this fall. I’ve never planted annual clovers so a little unsure what to expect for growth rates and deer preference of these clovers/daikons.
I mix my own. I use GHR or PTT along with CC and WR. I don't bother drilling, I just surface broadcast when the beans yellow. It has always worked well for me.

Thanks,

Jack