Weed control

Jerry-B-WI

5 year old buck +
How big of an area should I cover if I use landscape fabric for weed control? Is 3 feet square enough?

How big of an area should I cover if I use landscape fabric for weed control? Is 3 feet square enough?

For apple trees?

I went with 3 foot square fabric this year. I have seen 4 foot square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3x3 is what I do.

I did see a study on this once. I'm trying to remember, but I think I recall that removing competition within about 6' of the tree contributed to growth. I'm sure is not linear. I personally use 4' landscaping material, cut squares, and put the remesh cages on the fabric to hold it down.

Anyone have a recommendation on brand name or where to get landscape fabric. Been looking and my head is spinning.

I assume I'll want UV resistant material that's permeable. I don't plan on covering it with anything. Had enough of a workout carrying the trees 80 acres back in the woods, won't be carrying any heavy mulch or stone that far.

I use roundup and no fabric. Need to spray 2 times per season and spray area big enough so I can mow around my cages with ease

Anyone have a recommendation on brand name or where to get landscape fabric. Been looking and my head is spinning.

I assume I'll want UV resistant material that's permeable. I don't plan on covering it with anything. Had enough of a workout carrying the trees 80 acres back in the woods, won't be carrying any heavy mulch or stone that far.

I bought my fabric from John at BigRockTrees who sponsors this forum. I don't know if he still owns and runs the business or not, but you'll find it at the bottom of this page: https://www.bigrocktrees.com/

Thanks,

Jack

I have been using some brand that home despot sells that is a bit heavier fabric and price is like 50%-75%more than the cheapest stuff for planting hazelnuts. Dont cover with anything and use the cage to hold down the fabric. Even with the heavier stuff and the claim of some uv protection get maybe two yrs and starts to break down. If you want to go 3+ yrs would recommend covering with something for trees. Bushes grow faster and not as critical.

Not a tree farmer but a friend uses old carpet in his garden. Works very well. Don’t know why it wouldn’t work for young trees.
Find a flooring store that resolves carpet, and it’ll probably be free!

Ran over a nest of ground nesting jackets or wasps. Not sure what they were, but after a dozen stings, I've got a new respect for them! :emoji_astonished: