Wealthy apple??

sandbur

5 year old buck +
The Jung's catalogue arrived today and they list the Wealthy as zone 3 hardy and relatively disease hardy.

Does anyone have one and how has it performed?

I had a low income apple once, only showed up a couple days a week, and called in sick a lot.

Sorry couldn't resist :)

-John

We have about 25 wealthy trees , very hardy dependable ,excellent eating apple comes a little early in the season , picked at its prime sweet a little soft compared to later apples , I also looked thru Jungs and notice again they are offering Prairie Magic we have a few here but they have been hard to source in the States until the last coup[le years , our Prairie Magic are young and have not got a crop yet but this may be the year 2016

Art

I have one on Antonovka rootstock from SLN planted in 2010. It's not in a prime location and didn't do much until I limed, fertilized and gave it some more sunlight two winters ago. It put out 5 or 6 apples this year. Not as crisp an apple as I like but tasty and I ate them up. They dropped for me in early Sept. I've had no disease problems with it so far. It's a Minn. apple that's been around for a long time so may well be worth a try.

We have about 25 wealthy trees , very hardy dependable ,excellent eating apple comes a little early in the season , picked at its prime sweet a little soft compared to later apples , I also looked thru Jungs and notice again they are offering Prairie Magic we have a few here but they have been hard to source in the States until the last coup[le years , our Prairie Magic are young and have not got a crop yet but this may be the year 2016
I was looking at the Prairie Magic, also.

Art

I have one on Antonovka rootstock from SLN planted in 2010. It's not in a prime location and didn't do much until I limed, fertilized and gave it some more sunlight two winters ago. It put out 5 or 6 apples this year. Not as crisp an apple as I like but tasty and I ate them up. They dropped for me in early Sept. I've had no disease problems with it so far. It's a Minn. apple that's been around for a long time so may well be worth a try.

Somewhere I read a long link about that apple and who developed it. Can't remember his name right now.

Art - SLN calls Prairie Magic an " excellent " choice for the far north. They label it " extremely hardy ". Manitoba - bred apple, vigorous grower.

Somewhere I read a long link about that apple and who developed it. Can't remember his name right now.
Look up and search Peter Gideon he developed the wealthy apple in the 1868 , He was and is the foundation of apple breeding in the far north , His work was done in Minnesota and led to the u of m apple breeding today

Look up and search Peter Gideon he developed the wealthy apple in the 1868 , He was and is the foundation of apple breeding in the far north , His work was done in Minnesota and led to the u of m apple breeding today

Yup, a link on Peter Gideon was what I read.

Prairie Magic was on the recommended list at an apple meeting about 2 falls back in staples, Mn. The discussions were about apple survival after the previous bad winter.

Has anyone tried the Bonnie Best from Jungs?

We have some Bonnie Best here , 10 trees or so got them from Maple valley Orchard in wis. had them put on bud 9 and had fruit the second year not much but tried a few , large apple similar to wolf river mid season , large , good cooking apple have had people ask for them by name so there is some interest , will not hang late but a great Apple at its peak flavor , seems very hardy zone 4 ? or 3 .

If you want a very hardy zone 3 or colder apple try the Prairie Magic you wont be disappointed ,, much easier to grow than honeycrisp and as good quality