All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wealthy apple??

sandbur

5 year old buck +
The Jung's catalogue arrived today and they list the Wealthy as zone 3 hardy and relatively disease hardy.

Does anyone have one and how has it performed?

I had a low income apple once, only showed up a couple days a week, and called in sick a lot.

Sorry couldn't resist :)

-John

We have about 25 wealthy trees , very hardy dependable ,excellent eating apple comes a little early in the season , picked at its prime sweet a little soft compared to later apples , I also looked thru Jungs and notice again they are offering Prairie Magic we have a few here but they have been hard to source in the States until the last coup[le years , our Prairie Magic are young and have not got a crop yet but this may be the year 2016

Art

I have one on Antonovka rootstock from SLN planted in 2010. It's not in a prime location and didn't do much until I limed, fertilized and gave it some more sunlight two winters ago. It put out 5 or 6 apples this year. Not as crisp an apple as I like but tasty and I ate them up. They dropped for me in early Sept. I've had no disease problems with it so far. It's a Minn. apple that's been around for a long time so may well be worth a try.

We have about 25 wealthy trees , very hardy dependable ,excellent eating apple comes a little early in the season , picked at its prime sweet a little soft compared to later apples , I also looked thru Jungs and notice again they are offering Prairie Magic we have a few here but they have been hard to source in the States until the last coup[le years , our Prairie Magic are young and have not got a crop yet but this may be the year 2016
I was looking at the Prairie Magic, also.

Art

I have one on Antonovka rootstock from SLN planted in 2010. It's not in a prime location and didn't do much until I limed, fertilized and gave it some more sunlight two winters ago. It put out 5 or 6 apples this year. Not as crisp an apple as I like but tasty and I ate them up. They dropped for me in early Sept. I've had no disease problems with it so far. It's a Minn. apple that's been around for a long time so may well be worth a try.

Somewhere I read a long link about that apple and who developed it. Can't remember his name right now.

Art - SLN calls Prairie Magic an " excellent " choice for the far north. They label it " extremely hardy ". Manitoba - bred apple, vigorous grower.

Somewhere I read a long link about that apple and who developed it. Can't remember his name right now.
Look up and search Peter Gideon he developed the wealthy apple in the 1868 , He was and is the foundation of apple breeding in the far north , His work was done in Minnesota and led to the u of m apple breeding today

Look up and search Peter Gideon he developed the wealthy apple in the 1868 , He was and is the foundation of apple breeding in the far north , His work was done in Minnesota and led to the u of m apple breeding today

Yup, a link on Peter Gideon was what I read.

Prairie Magic was on the recommended list at an apple meeting about 2 falls back in staples, Mn. The discussions were about apple survival after the previous bad winter.

Has anyone tried the Bonnie Best from Jungs?

We have some Bonnie Best here , 10 trees or so got them from Maple valley Orchard in wis. had them put on bud 9 and had fruit the second year not much but tried a few , large apple similar to wolf river mid season , large , good cooking apple have had people ask for them by name so there is some interest , will not hang late but a great Apple at its peak flavor , seems very hardy zone 4 ? or 3 .

If you want a very hardy zone 3 or colder apple try the Prairie Magic you wont be disappointed ,, much easier to grow than honeycrisp and as good quality