Watering Trees, late season....

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
So I planted some trees this year, will be about a 90% success rate I think, 1 took a poo cuz a critter loves to dig in that particular spot, and 1 likens it self to the cedar rust table. I've watered them 2 x a week (unless it down pours) since may and I'll continue to do so through what I suspect is Sept 15th. After that time I'd like to stay out of their for hunting purposes to let it lay.

Can I stop watering them around that time or is that a bad decisions, normally its getting in the 50s during the day in late October still. I'm not sure what to do about the watering dilemma?

I try to water my trees just enough to keep them alive. Partially because I don't have enough free time to water them more frequently, but I also want the roots to grow as large as possible in their search for water. Your trees will likely be fine if you cut back your watering and just hit them when you have a dry spell. My experience is based primarily on standard rootstock though, so you may have to water more frequently with dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstock.

I try to water my trees just enough to keep them alive. Partially because I don't have enough free time to water them more frequently, but I also want the roots to grow as large as possible in their search for water. Your trees will likely be fine if you cut back your watering and just hit them when you have a dry spell. My experience is based primarily on standard rootstock though, so you may have to water more frequently with dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstock.

Ben yeah mine are all crabs and pears on standard rootstocks.

I think you are golden if you can water like that to sep. If you get some hot days maybe try an slip in for a quick water. I have a buddy that is trying these tree water donuts this yr. I will be interested to see how they work for him.

General rule I have heard is 5 gallons per week for new trees but mine sure don't get it. I just gave all my trees about 10 gallons this week as it was pretty hot lately and then Mother Nature gave us .6 inches 2 days later. I am good for 2 weeks unless it rains again I will wait longer unless I see the trees stressing due to lack of water. I think mid August is ok to stop watering so often for 1st year trees

Anyone using the 5 gal. slow drip bucket system? I live two plus hours from my farm, considering adding buckets to the 30 new trees I am planting next year. I have a nearby pond that I could pump water from. My hope would be to use them for one year, then move to the newly planted trees in each subsequent year.

Anyone using the 5 gal. slow drip bucket system? I live two plus hours from my farm, considering adding buckets to the 30 new trees I am planting next year. I have a nearby pond that I could pump water from. My hope would be to use them for one year, then move to the newly planted trees in each subsequent year.
I have had trouble with the holes in the buckets plugging with dirt/sand.

I have thought of using those plastic or metal lick tanks that farmers use for cattle. I suspect they hold about20- 25 gallons. I had an eye on some at a dairy, but they got burned by some temporary help.

I have had trouble with the holes in the buckets plugging with dirt/sand.

I have thought of using those plastic or metal lick tanks that farmers use for cattle. I suspect they hold about20- 25 gallons. I had an eye on some at a dairy, but they got burned by some temporary help.
The yellow tubs are what could be used for larger drip buckets like you described. There are also many older ones made of metal.

This is my collection system of water from the basement sump pump for expected July and August droughts. These tubs probably are also excellent places for mosquitoes to hatch.

IMG_8699 2.jpg

I use 5 gallon buckets with small holes in the bottom - I fill them once a week once our summer kicks in their first year in the ground. I typically let the tree tell me when I can stop. If they seem fine I will quit around sept 1st. I fill them with my 55 gallon 3 point sprayer. If you have issues with the holes plugging I would suggest moving the holes to the sides and an inch up from the bottom - that should allow the debris to settle and not plug your holes -or use bigger holes.

I use 5 gallon buckets with small holes in the bottom - I fill them once a week once our summer kicks in their first year in the ground. I typically let the tree tell me when I can stop. If they seem fine I will quit around sept 1st. I fill them with my 55 gallon 3 point sprayer. If you have issues with the holes plugging I would suggest moving the holes to the sides and an inch up from the bottom - that should allow the debris to settle and not plug your holes -or use bigger holes.