Few More Crabapple Questions

bigbendmarine

5 year old buck +
Won't learn if I don't ask... first question, is it possible to grow crabapple trees from root sucker cuttings?

And couple of follow-up questions for anyone who wants to throw out thoughts. Here's my dilemma (or opportunity, depending on way you look at it). I currently have rows of Bradford Pears that form a canopy "allee" down my driveway. Due to age, lack of pruning (before I bought the place), storm damage, etc I've already got some spots along the way where trees have been lost. And with the set already about 5 years past what can be expected for Bradfords am thinking about starting to piecemeal replace them -- thinking about doing in 3rds... taking out 1/3 farthest from house and putting new trees in and giving a few years to grow, then taking out the next 3rd, etc. Here's the current look towards our home for reference sake.

Bradford 1.jpg

View from house to highway

Bradford 2.jpg

Here's why I ask about the possibility of root sucker cuttings if they have even a chance of growing... when we bought the place it already had two ornamental crabapples of some sort -- they produce small yellow fruit just about the size of a pea. They're more fan shaped than tall, and if I knew I could prune limbs to keep growth from blocking road I'd rather have them fill the spot than Bradfords due to the pear habit of self-destructing with limbs growing upward and eventually splitting one another (those with Bradfords will know what I'm talking about). Here's pictures of the crab trees. Pardon the mess around them, as use shady spot by one to help protect acorn seedlings and other future plantings from intense Florida sun in afternoons.

20180215_182932.jpg

20180215_183026.jpg

If growing saplings from root sucker cuttings isn't possible, last question is what tree species and / or variety might you see being a good replacement for the Bradford pears? We're right around the zone 8a / 8b border for reference sake / whatever it's worth. While wildlife feeding would be a plus, I'm honestly more going for looks along the driveway as I've got about a hundred other trees planted elsewhere for deer / wildlife feeding purposes. And as always, MUCH appreciate any wisdom generously shared!

If the crabapples were grown from seed and not grafted, you can certainly grow a new tree from root cuttings. When I took a grafting class a few years ago, the master grafter who taught the class was reminiscing about when he was young and they ran out of rootstock when his father would send him out to the orchard to dig up roots. They would graft to a pencil sized root. He said it worked well.

This doesn't apply to your situation, but another neat trick he taught us was grafting upside down. If you want a tree growing on its own roots, you can turn a clonal rootstock upside down and graft to it and then plant it below the graft. The rootstock will sustain the tree temporarily until it can grow its own roots. Since the rootstock is upside down, eventually it will die leaving you with a tree on its own roots.

Thanks,

Jack