Late fall planting apple trees?

My top growers from Bluehill have been his Primetime crab and October crab. Only been in the ground for 2 years but the couple I planted are easily outpacing the other trees planted at the same time. I have a couple trees of each variety so it isn’t just a fluke. I bought Grahm’s Gift, Big Dog and Kerr from him also. Those are all growing well but the Primetime trees have really taken off. I grafted a few more this spring and even the grafts are growing faster than my other grafts. I am not getting too excited until I see what the fruit and fruiting habits of the tree rally are.

All my Whitetail crabs are grafts from scion I got from guys here. I have 30-06, Droptine and a Ghost apple. Honestly all of those are growing very well and I couldn’t pick one over the other. These have also only been in the ground 2 years.
Exactly....I don't want to get too excited either , until I also see the fruiting habits and drop times for my area since I'm in VA and the trees are from PA. My Blue Hills were planted spring of 2021 and the Son of cal and Turning point put on the most growth. MY Whitetail Crabs were planted in 2020 and my Droptines are growing the best, only have one crossbow and this year was loaded with crabs for the first time

This weekend was the perfect weather to transplant apple trees from the garden. I know one thing, I must be getting old because I am SORE! I just keep telling myself all this work will be worth it down the road.
61959CF6-91EB-4146-B164-ABEA50144F04.jpeg

Attachments

• 4612FBF9-39F3-43B4-B7C5-D0E7B8B17D94.jpeg
    4612FBF9-39F3-43B4-B7C5-D0E7B8B17D94.jpeg
    791.8 KB · Views: 25
Great root structure on your trees!

I know exactly what you mean about getting sore from bending over all morning and crawling around planting…older I get the stiffer I get.
Well worth it though, labor of love.

I think I have eight to move out to our new orchard this fall.

Mine will be going in the ground this coming weekend. Weather looks to be perfect. Fall is a great time to plant.

I've got 15 of mine transplanted, 12 more to grow.

Bucksnort, I'm wondering why you transplant them as bare root? I leave as big a dirtball on them as I can.

I moved 28 fruit trees this fall and have about 45 oaks still to get in the ground.

I've got 15 of mine transplanted, 12 more to grow.

Bucksnort, I'm wondering why you transplant them as bare root? I leave as big a dirtball on them as I can.
Main reasoning for me has nothing to do with the trees but more the situation of planting 3 hours away, traveling with my family and working around everything else that comes on the trip, managing the weight of the bags, etc. They looks so clean because it’s been dry here, I gave them a good soaking before bagging for the ride. I had good survival last year, hoping for similar results!

That makes sense.

Getting ready to give this another try here in a week and a half or so....PA archery season ends on the 18th so I get a break (and a week off work!) before Thanksgiving, so if I can get ahold of some trees I will definitely be planting at least 5 (if not more) trees. I will update with pics if that happens. All 10 of the trees that I planted last November thrived this year, even with a pretty significant mid-summer drought and minimal supplemental watering (I think I gave them each tree one 5 gallon bucket 2 times total over the summer)...

Great bucks,If I was to tag out I think I would let my place settle down and let all the deer get pushed there.I talked to terry and he corrected my shipping and reduced aliuttel so I ordered more trees.I ordered some from Willis because I wanted more asian pears and they charge 25% of product ordered plus 14.00 oversize fee.So they now have highest shipping.I am checking with Morse and if I can get some pears from them for cheaper shipping I will cancel my willis order.

Just got word that the trees will be available...now I gotta scrounge around and find some cages, mesh and weed fabric...hope some of its on sale!
Also might be some mighty exposed willows at my place (hope no bucks are reading this, as they beat them up pretty bad last year), but I will sacrifice 10 willows to protect 1 crabapple tree...

I know I have shared something like this before, but here is the plan for planting 11 more trees. Anything without a small white text box label is already planted.
Hoping to get them all in before Thanksgiving.
The green triangle is my half acre food plot, which has clover and rye in it. It faces almost due South and is on a pretty good slope.
Trees are spaced out about 18' apart in rows with ~15' between rows. I know this is kinda close, but I do not intend to mow this field once the trees are up and thriving.
I am not planting any trees to the right (smaller end of the triangle), as there is a big, dead maple below the field that will be coming down soon. When it falls, it may take out any number of trees, but if it falls more to the West it should be ok.
Going to try to get all the yellow-starred trees planted soon. All of the trees in this mini-orchard are from either Blue Hill, Wildlife Crabs or Willis Nursery.
IMG_7798[1].JPG

I’ll be digging trees Friday in NY and getting them in the ground at my parents in PA on Saturday. Will move 3 pears and 15-20 apples. Last chance I’ll have this fall.

I’ll be digging trees Friday in NY and getting them in the ground at my parents in PA on Saturday. Will move 3 pears and 15-20 apples. Last chance I’ll have this fall.
was hoping to do it sooner, but it has been so warm here I bet the trees aren't even dormant yet and it's still archery season...

When I planted just over a month ago I ran out of time and had to take a chance knowing I would be back for gun deer season and would finish then. Overall the trees look good but mice and rabbits got a few which really frustrates me and definitely hits home, if you’re not going to protect the trees you might as well not plant them in the first place. Good thing I still have trees left in the garden at home to replace these…

Attachments

• 2D818463-31A3-4096-98B9-D314EB8A5558.jpeg
    2D818463-31A3-4096-98B9-D314EB8A5558.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 16
Got all 7 planted yesterday (Terry threw in an extra Macoun for me when I picked them up). The trees all had extensive root systems and were all at least 4 feet tall (with the largest pushing 8’). All have remesh cages, window screen around the trunks, weed mats and limestone screening on top of each weed mat. Gave each a good soaking to get out the air. Attached pic is my Dad standing behind the tallest Droptine for reference.457E68C8-0A19-4BC4-8E40-5C705B5DF301.jpeg

I love planting this time of year (Dec.) if I can get a shovel in the ground. I have been transplanting volunteer crab seedlings that are growing too close to my trail roads or too near a larger tree. I try to get as much soil and root mass as I can lift up onto the truck tailgate without screwing up my back.

After planting I prune the tops back and then mulch heavily with leaves to try to preserve soil warmth, hoping for some over-winter root growth/development.

I had good luck planting this late last year. My plan is to graft these seedlings to something I like next spring.

A6761E2C-4917-4ECF-8ACE-F872C78A5703.jpeg77CA1A57-40B1-4ADD-A133-348667D88B8A.jpeg

I wonder how some of you guys get shovels into the ground this time of year - but if you can - kudos to ya!! How do trees planted this late do for you?? Any losses??

I wonder how some of you guys get shovels into the ground this time of year - but if you can - kudos to ya!! How do trees planted this late do for you?? Any losses??
Haven’t lost one of the 10 trees I planted late November last year and planted 7 more late November this year. Both years it was warmer than normal but nowhere near warm! The trees from last years fall planting even survived a pretty significant drought this year with limited watering and are have all put on pretty extensive vegetative growth and some height.

I transplanted 5 crabs in December last year and they all did fine.

If we have good snow cover the ground doesn’t freeze. We don’t have much snow this year, but it has been unseasonably warm, so shoveling is no problem.

Last edited: