Waterfowl

Darn thats alot of bands,they will all be dead before we can hunt again

Darn thats alot of bands,they will all be dead before we can hunt again

Ha...there should be plenty to go around! It has been a good year for them.

LYaZIo2.jpg

They from all over, or all from same banding location?

Jewelry does add a nice surprise..
I’ve only got two bands from all the years I hunted.

They from all over, or all from same banding location?

The wood duck was local banded on our lake, four of the mallards were all banded about twenty miles south of us the other mallard was Ontario. The last two three years have been really lucky for us getting duck bands hunting close to home.

IThis is the first year I have duck hunted other than 1 other time and The first duck I shot was banded and 1 of the 15 I shot this year was banded both in Canada

It is amazing how many bands you get. Over here in AR, we average about one band per 1000 ducks killed.

It is amazing how many bands you get. Over here in AR, we average about one band per 1000 ducks killed.

I used to travel a lot every year to duck hunt and averaged 1/200 maybe, the only explanation I can see for it is that they are banding more locally for whatever reason and it has upped our odds.

UlNMURn.jpg

My odds arent even that good

I've got a friend who shoots a lot of banded ducks. He actually watches for them and will target the banded ones out of a flock. I never could do it, every banded I've shot was a surprise when I picked the duck up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've got a friend who shoots a lot of banded ducks. He actually watches for them and will target the banded ones out of a flock. I never could do it, every banded I've shot was a surprise when I picked the duck up.

Big article in the DU magazine asking people not to do that.

Big article in the DU magazine asking people not to do that.
Really? So that the data collected is more random or just so that the ducks can live longer and make it to further away locations?

Really? So that the data collected is more random or just so that the ducks can live longer and make it to further away locations?
It throws off the data and makes it appear that more ducks are being harvested than really are. It can result in reduced opportunities for everyone.
It was in this month's magazine but I think I already recycled it.

It throws off the data and makes it appear that more ducks are being harvested than really are. It can result in reduced opportunities for everyone.
It was in this month's magazine but I think I already recycled it.
My dad gets DU, I'll get his copy when he's done with it. Makes since though. A lot of guys just throw the band on a lanyard and never report it. Data is probably pretty skewed by lots of these factors.

We used to see a lot of collard birds here almost all local and they were most definitely targeted by anyone hunting geese, same with snows. So now they hardly collar any because those got picked off first, although I have gotten older Canadas and snows that were collard.
We used to band a bunch of geese every year here at our local refuge and the boys and I would always help with the goose roundup in summer, I also used to do the wood duck banding on the refuge years ago. I know that when certain info is really important a reward band is on other leg...higher the reward more important the study.

Bands make some guys crazy, when I used to guide I would see best friends that would lose their shit miffed over who shot the band and it could ruin the day. Bands are fun to get but they aren’t that big a thing to me like they were when I was younger, I'll let whomever else is hunting with me take the band 90% of the time now. I've shot way more than my share over the years.

I used to travel a lot every year to duck hunt and averaged 1/200 maybe, the only explanation I can see for it is that they are banding more locally for whatever reason and it has upped our odds.

The third goose I ever shot had a band, and the second roadkill goose I ever checked had a band. The one I shot was local(Montgomery County, Ohio), and the roadkill was from Michigan. This was about 9 years ago. Seems like there are a lot of banded birds in Ohio recently.

I still would like to shoot bands to add to the collection, but not going to get testy with a friend over one. They are a trophy of sorts, kind of like antlers.

The third goose I ever shot had a band, and the second roadkill goose I ever checked had a band. The one I shot was local(Montgomery County, Ohio), and the roadkill was from Michigan. This was about 9 years ago. Seems like there are a lot of banded birds in Ohio recently.

There have always been a lot of banded geese in Ohio, it was one of the very first states to reintroduce the giant Canadas back in the 50's our refuge here was the very first in the state. They don't band anything like they did here back in the 70's-90's it used to be a 50/50 shot on getting a banded goose.