All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waterfowl

Was that today?SC Kansas and all we had was drizzle,still taking kids deer hunting so we will hit them next weekend
Yes. East central ks
20191215_121453.jpg

This past Friday and Saturday the temps dropped into low twenties and the birds were really moving here, also had a lot of fresh birds in the area. The dog got a heck of a work out and broke ice for the first time retrieving... I was very impressed how she handled geese it was her first big test on those she had no problem at all and brought them in like she was a Lab or Chessie. Friday got our third duck band of the season.

GBxhXIY.jpg

EuRgF1N.jpg

ap83rqC.jpg

6wCLY41.jpg

sOueNi7.jpg

Nice work! Great dog you have there.

A brisk 7 degrees out this morning
xeldHm4.jpg

I broke ice today. Didnt see much. My one shooting chance was a drake mallard leading 3 drake pintails. They came right in. I pulled up to shoot and ...click. forgot to load the gun.

^^^^^ I've had the dreaded "click" a couple times this season from the old SBE bolt not closing up, I'm going to have to switch over to the new one rest of year. Missing a chance on a drake mallard and three drake pins would make me say a bad word!

^^^^^ I've had the dreaded "click" a couple times this season from the old SBE bolt not closing up, I'm going to have to switch over to the new one rest of year. Missing a chance on a drake mallard and three drake pins would make me say a bad word!
Did you make it out ,we had good luck yesterday and I got another banded bird,10 yrs old

Did you make it out ,we had good luck yesterday and I got another banded bird,10 yrs old

No, had to work the past few days, and we have had a weird warm front back in and park on us 50 degrees today. Congrats on the band!
I need some weather here to get the birds moving again.The field hunting should really turn on here next month for geese and mallards.

Its insanely slow here. 2nd warmest Cmas day on record. Missed tying the record by 1 degree. Drove 2.5 hours on the 23rd trying to find something. Checked every pond and lake I have ever shot ducks off of and nothing.

We really saw quite a few,it will probably be cold in between seasons

We really saw quite a few,it will probably be cold in between seasons
I drove by the closed to huntingside of the local NWR today and saw less than 50 ducks. Only 2 trucks hunting on the open side and never saw a bird flying. Snow geese are about the only game in town right now. I can hunt the next 10 days and dont know if it is even worth my time with current bird numbers.

Frustrating for me in GA. Not seeing the numbers of birds I have in years past. Used to have hundreds come to roost every night, but they seem to have gone. Hunters on other side of pond near roost last year were blasting every weekend. Woodies in low numbers and geese seem to have vanished after having deafened me when hunting deer! Haven't seen much of green heads either. Yesterday morning temps in mid 30's but warms up to 60's soon. At least I had the view!

IMG_6502.jpg

My oldest boy's one year old GSP retrieved her first duck yesterday.

G0TDKPR.jpg

Birds are stale. I was by myself today. 4 mallards and a goose aint bad. The 20 ga was fun today.20191230_160659.jpg20191230_113529.jpg

Very nice,season is closed at my place for a couple weeks

Windy, snowing and dropping temps have them moving today.
This morning forty five minutes ...seventh pintail of season, fifth duck band.

mfWC9js.jpg

Youngest son
3gTCJSj.jpg

34weqaK.jpg

Nice pin.

I may have to make more of effort to get on the ducks next fall.

I hate getting up in the morning to duck hunt... but that first 30 minutes can be so magical... and worth it.