All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waterfowl

Does anyone have a good source for wood duck boxes?I would make but just don't have time.I have a ton of wood ducks early but thought it might be cool to put up some boxes

Does anyone have a good source for wood duck boxes?I would make but just don't have time.I have a ton of wood ducks early but thought it might be cool to put up some boxes

Local Boy Scout groups make them as projects often if you have any connections with troop leaders, also if you have a local refuge within reasonable distance they are very helpful or contact your county CO.

Im going to try it tomorrow. Im afraid we will be locked up. Wind supposed to keep blowing at 40 but lows in the teens with a high tomorrow of 23 is going to make conditions tough

Im going to try it tomorrow. Im afraid we will be locked up. Wind supposed to keep blowing at 40 but lows in the teens with a high tomorrow of 23 is going to make conditions tough
Good luck! If I was a betting man I would guess them to hunker down early, but get restless and move mid-morning. 9:37am...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well I slept in and got out about 0930. Snowing with an air temp of 15. Not much flying. Opened a spot in the slush and pitched out 18 decoys. Before I could get my gloves and facemask on 6 mallards decoyed and I killed 2. Dog no more than gets back and 2 more right in. Killed them both. Had to wait 10 min before a single drake came right in. I shot 6 times killing 5 mallards. Took 25 min.
20200111_102435.jpg20200111_103336.jpg20200111_110126.jpg

Nice! I've been wondering how your hunt went this morning. We had some come to the pond and hunker down next to the north bank early, but the majority showed up mid morning. Great hunt for ya!

I saw maybe 20 ducks but 17 of them were back peddling at 10 yards.

Slow today...one gadwall. Hunted in every kind of rain including freezing.
20200117_100423.jpg

We start back up tomorrow,they have moved in pretty well.Will be tough getting the blind on crutches but I will get it done

Hope you had a good hunt. I caught a bug and stayed home today.

Temps really dropping here getting the geese hitting fields good.

rGEbiEJ.jpg

I scouted today. Zero ducks and zero canadas spotted. I found the snows though. What an odd year.

I scouted today. Zero ducks and zero canadas spotted. I found the snows though. What an odd year.

It is an odd one this year over this way too. Crazy swings in the temps have birds bouncing around with the freeze line and we haven't had that much snow, what we have had is a lot of cold rain. It is getting to be the time of year that geese should really start turning on in the fields but makes it tough hunting if we have a lot of sheet water and mud to deal with.

They were all at my place. Widgeon, scaup, goldeneye, ponytail, mallards...

Attachments

• 20200119_073524.jpg
    20200119_073524.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 13

Ponytail?

What kind of hippy ducks you growing down there? Or even worse, are they hipsters with man buns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponytail?

What kind of hippy ducks you growing down there? Or even worse, are they hipsters with man buns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crap! Autocorrect didn't like any of the duck names except for "mallard". I missed that one... pintail. It was supposed to he pintail.

hahahaha.....ponytail and hipster ducks...Shoot those for sure!

We have been shooting limits of mallards and a few teal and thousands of geese.this week has been good and even though I still can't wear waders this weekend it will easier to walk with a boot I get on thursday

We are frozen