Water Hole

TreesuitSC

5 year old buck +
Tried this habitat improvement. Learned about it from Jeff Sturgis’s Videos.

At first not much action but just like he says in his
videos the action starts to pick up when they start cruising.

Crazy thing is I had just put this camera up about 40 minutes before this pic.

5ee78ce417b92aff74a38fc8b970f63e.jpg

It’s a great idea no doubt !

You need to put a piece of hardware cloth down along the inside wall of your tub to allow mice to escape.....otherwise you have a very effective mouse trap. Nothing likes drinking from water with "floaters" in it.

I like a "natural" waterhole more but those buried stock tanks work well. I recommend adding a mock scrape close by. IME, it's common for them to walk from one to the other giving you the potential for more shot opportunities.

I like a "natural" waterhole more but those buried stock tanks work well. I recommend adding a mock scrape close by. IME, it's common for them to walk from one to the other giving you the potential for more shot opportunities.

How close?

If it's a buried stock tank, approximately 5 to 8 yards. The stock tank is small enough that I want them to walk to the scrape. The buck stops at the waterhole, then goes and works the scrape / vine, and back to the waterhole before he moves on. This gives us more opportunities for a shot.

LIFT0005.JPG

LIFT0007.JPG

LIFT0013.JPG

If it's on a "natural" waterhole, I have the vine / scrape real close. The waterhole is large enough for them to walk around or in it to get to the scrape.

IMG_0094.JPGIMG_0814.JPG

I get quite a few sequences where they'll hit one, the other and back to the one again before they move on. It keeps them there a touch longer and may give us another opportunity if needed.

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

Pretty cool. I will have to remember that.