All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted to show off my destination plot

acre and a half isn't bad.
I'll tell u something I noticed since I've been destroying my doe population. These foods plots really attract the does. When u literally wipe out the deer using a specific location, like your 3.5 acre food plot, it takes time, but a new group of does comes back. Now our mn friends have proven if everyone is dropping the hammer in the outlying area, it's easy to completely eliminate all the deer. however, If there isn't much hunting pressure on the local does, the harvest opportunitiess can be almost unlimited.
The most interesting thing u said was the deer hit my beans, and they will leave once the acorns drop. Those deer u have are simply jumping food sources. I see the same exact thing by me. I have a suspicion that group of "20" odd does is an extended family group. I've seen the same ball park number many times. You don't really ever see more than that 16-20ish until winter strikes. But than, does will get territorial and aggressive towards each other. I think that's simply the sows protecting their family.
I bet that group of does consists of multiple "old" sows, that aren't reproductive. Have u noticed how many have fawns? Do u have a group of 4-5 does with only maybe one doe having a fawn? That's what I would routinely see on my main farm. One large group of does completely ruled a specific food source. They didn't "come out" to the food plot together, but it was clear they accepted each other socially, when u watch them feeding.
To me, it's been really interesting what happens when u eliminate those groups, especially the matriarchs.
All the so called experts feed us with the day in the life of mature bucks. I feel there's a lot more to the story, and observing and attempting to understand doe social interaction and habits, make u a much better hunter and land manager.

Dipper I have had a pretty knowledgable land manager and friend tell me that eventually I will have what he described as "the nursery". A feild where all the doe's congregate with their young. This will draw lots of attention of many young bucks but not mature. He proceeded to ask me how many mature men you know want to hang out with a bunch of women and children and teenage boys <(1.5-3.5 bucks). Not many. Mature bucks are like old men in that they prefer solitude and quiet.
Makes since And I beleive this is already happening in that I had 4 bucks last year that were very mature and fed in this feild daily. They have yet to show up this yr. These bucks were true monarchs at 5-6 years of age. I know 3 made it through the season from trail can surveys. I beleive these bucks are alive and well but prefer not to feed around a bunch of frisky fawns and teenage mindset bucks.
Heard dynamics are defiantly interesting

I no doubt agree with that, I've lived it. That's why I waged war on the does on my main farm. I was surprised by how old these does were and how few were nursing fawns when I shot them.
I've killed so many does the last few years, I've lowered my neighborhood population, and the deer seem to be having more fawns.
At a certain point, I wonder how much you can actually grow a population, when the deer are already at maximum social carrying capacity?
My property appeared to have a stable population when it was at its highest, and I was seeing few fawns. Since I have a lower population it appears the deer are trying to reproduce again.
It's interesting

Love the picture Jordan!

Jordan,

Nice job on your plots. How many acres of plots do you have total vs total land? Do you plan having any further areas opened up/logged for plots or for summer and winter browse?

Tks!
farm is just shy of 300 acres after picking up 10 more acres last yr. Just had that 10 acres logged rescently in exchange for dozer work. No more than 3 acres plotted. Our timber is a jungle due to being select cut logged in 09. LOTS of browse.
I plan to have a few areas opened up when the logger gets his machine back out to finish the pond. I told him to wait till spring due to deer season being a month out. Hope to have more room to tinker with tree plantings:)

Any log landings from the logging that you could plant in perennial clover to expand your plots? An 1/8 acre here and there adds up. Might take the pressure off your main plots and let some of those does groups spread out.

10 acre I had logged resently is on my very back property line. My logger owns the ground behind me and used his ground for his landing zone. Good point on spreading the doe's out. I have 3 woodland plots im planting this yr and a another bottom plot to target that 4 year old 9 point. I'm going with somthing that really pulls them in early season peas, beans, oats an a lil WW. Here is that plot. It's between .25-.5 acres. Turned it over yesterday. It was 3rd year clover plot. Lots of green manure. Should be good as this is where I had multiple close encounters with that 9 last fall
image.jpg