All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted to show off my destination plot

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
wanted to show you all my destination feed field. deer are tearing up the beans right now. Their are 20+ deer in this lil feild every evening including a few good shooters. Will post some trail cam pics soon too. I plan to over seed these beans with winter rye and winter wheat. Hope the corn puts on some descent ears but prolly not as I seeded it way to thick. Oh well live an learn they like the cover anyways. I won't hunt this feild much just slip in occasionally mostly during the rut

a little bit of browse! things look great, thanks for sharing!

Good looking field with lots of diversity, thanks for sharing.

Those beans looked hammered!! Will they produce beans for any late season forage?

That looks great. It's really going to look good when your trees get some size and the pond gets built.

Thanks guys
It's a work in progress. The beans are a mix of Ag beans and eagle managers mix. Got the Eagles cheaper CUZ the bag was busted. I hope to have some pods but Not sure with the browse pressure. I will over seed with Grains in sep. The plot on the bench above has beans in it as well an the deer aren't touching them. They are to lazy to walk through the other tall stuff in the plot to get to them!

I'm digging these short little videos, I might have to shoot one the next time I am down at where I hunt!

I'm digging these short little videos, I might have to shoot one the next time I am down at where I hunt!

Please do! I like them too. That's why I did one. It tells a much better story than a picture. I hope to get a handycam an video some hunts this year as well

Looks like it's a great place, but you have too high of a deer population?

If they can keep an acre and a half mowed like that, I'd say it's time to put one in the freezer.

Looks like it's a great place, but you have too high of a deer population?

This area is associated with lower deer numbers Dipper but with all the logging in the area the numbers are increasing. Deer have an abundance of cover an food. I have owned my place for 2 seasons and have not taken 1 doe as I want to increase my dpsm numbers. I will see how this season goes but will likely not shoot any doe's this year either. My wife expressed an interest in hunting this year. I will encourage her to shoot one of she likes

This area is associated with lower deer numbers Dipper but with all the logging in the area the numbers are increasing. Deer have an abundance of cover an food. I have owned my place for 2 seasons and have not taken 1 doe as I want to increase my dpsm numbers. I will see how this season goes but will likely not shoot any doe's this year either. My wife expressed an interest in hunting this year. I will encourage her to shoot one of she likes

If you have limited ag in your area, it does not take many deer to hone in on your beans and stay there till they are gone.

Exactly what I was thinking. Bob's 1.5 acres of beans got hit hard this year...but that's because there are no other beans around for miles. I'd bet last year when we had 120+ acres of beans in the neighborhood his results would have been much different.

Roger That!

The perk of being ocd in this game is you get to hoard the deer. It's not my problem Elmer isn't seeing deer a half mile away in his park, because he pastures his beef in the woods. I worry about my property and only my property. The ocd plan and work is attracting the deer to my place, not my neighbors. The deer just keep piling in.
On the other side of the coin, the deer keep piling in and reproducing. If you keep worrying about your neighbors density, and not yours, it's gonna catch up to you.
I can't speak for southern areas that don't have winter, but a herd of hungry deer will naw a sapling down to the size of a pinky. Once your regeneration starts going backwards, have fun with things like garlic mustard. Your "regeneration" will look like elmers wood lot pasture.
There's guys the ocd guys in this game who, "there's never enough deer". I get it, it's your land who am I to say?

Just be careful, I made the mistake of listening to my neighbors complaints about lack of deer when I first bought my property. It bit me and I had to get super aggressive at harvesting does, in the long run. Deer reproduce like that, and all of a sudden you might be stuck with way too many.
How many acre field is that? My buddy has the same bean recipe as you and his are double your size. He has a stable population. If u have 20 deer in one small food plot, you are walking on thin ice.

The entire field is 3.5 acres. As Mo mentioned above I have zero crops in this area. I am surrounded by 10's of thousands of acres of big woods. I am pulling in a lot of deer with the beans but many of them will disperse once the acorns start falling. White oaks are a dime a dozen in this area. Makes for some tough hunting. My woodland plots im working on are in areas that I have noticed over the past 2 seasons as preferred white oak feeding areas on oak flats. Anxious to see if they produce

Have some good daytime picks of allot of brown bodies in this field that I wanted to share but my lap top decided to shoot craps on me:mad:

You may want to hotwire off that bean plot in the future. Let them in when they are sick of eating acorns for a month and want something new.

The perk of being ocd in this game is you get to hoard the deer. It's not my problem Elmer isn't seeing deer a half mile away in his park, because he pastures his beef in the woods. I worry about my property and only my property. The ocd plan and work is attracting the deer to my place, not my neighbors. The deer just keep piling in.
On the other side of the coin, the deer keep piling in and reproducing. If you keep worrying about your neighbors density, and not yours, it's gonna catch up to you.
I can't speak for southern areas that don't have winter, but a herd of hungry deer will naw a sapling down to the size of a pinky. Once your regeneration starts going backwards, have fun with things like garlic mustard. Your "regeneration" will look like elmers wood lot pasture.
There's guys the ocd guys in this game who, "there's never enough deer". I get it, it's your land who am I to say?

Keep in mind I have 3 young boys that if I have anything to do with it will be God fearing, sharp shootN, deer killN rascals. Im building up the herd for many years of whitetail management and down right fun;) . I am not opposed to taking a doe this year but will leave it to my brother or wife who have not killed many or any deer

Once my regeneration starts going backwards I will break out the chainsaw

Last edited:
You may want to hotwire off that bean plot in the future. Let them in when they are sick of eating acorns for a month and want something new.

Thats the plan for next year John. This year worked out because we had so much moisture they didn't really start hammering the beans till last few weeks. I am also gonna run PVC pipe from the pond so I can water my destination plot in the future! Im sick I know;)

That's some serious browse for 3.5 acres. Efence would cost u a grand. I've got $600 in mine and I went cheap with just wire. The rope or tape fence skyrocket the price.
Are u gonna broadcast off a 3pt? That would be some good walking and hauling bags.

That's some serious browse for 3.5 acres. Efence would cost u a grand. I've got $600 in mine and I went cheap with just wire. The rope or tape fence skyrocket the price.
Are u gonna broadcast off a 3pt? That would be some good walking and hauling bags.

Only 1.5 acres of beans total but feild is 3.5 acres. I will have to hand spread grains into beans as my Atv spreader is a pull behind and won't work in standing beans