All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VT Sugarbeet Experiment 2017

Jer

Yearling... With promise
Fellow food plot buddy of mine gave me some approx 4-5 yr old sugar beet seed from Welter Seed Co. I did a germination test and see if they were viable. Turns out I got about 60% germination, so I gave them a try in a small experiment. One of my 3 plots is a 1/3 acre plot that has been planted 4 years now. Each year I have added pelletized lime and the appropriate fertilizer according to soil sample tests.

I specifically amended the soil with pelletized lime and DAP (diammonium phosphate) fertilizer at the exact levels the soil test required for growing sugar beets. No potassium was required. Also put the appropriate amount of boron required. The plan was 11 rows, 1' apart & 50' long or about 550 sqft. knowing the 60% germination I planted the seeds pretty close, which you will see in the pics. I planted them on 5/27/17 and at the same time planted the remainder of the 1/3 acre in winter rye and soybeans. Below are pictures at different dates so you can see how fast (or sloooow) these sugarbabies grow

5/27/17 - Tilled in Lime, DAP and Boron and Planted. Remainder was planted in winter rye and soybeans.

MG_5-27-17.jpeg

6/8/17 Sprouted

MG_6-8-17.jpg

6/11/17 I built a fence to keep the honest out, hoping the deer would prefer the young winter rye and soybeans.

MG_6-11-17.jpg

6/18/17 - Winter rye and soybeans growing well and sugarbeets are growing ok

MG_6-17-17.jpg

6/24/17 - Sugarbeets put on some growth in the past week. I thinned but not to the recommended 1' spacing.

MG_6-24-17.jpg

...more pics to come

6/27/17 - I gave a shot of Urea

MG_6-27-17.jpg

7/4/17 They responded to urea pretty well

MG_7-4-17.jpg

7/7/17 - I tilled in the soybeans and winter rye to give time to break down

MG_7-7-17.jpg

7/12/17 - Uh oh....deer are mad there are no more soybeans and are breeching my poor man's fence. Time to reinforce.

MG_7-12-17.jpg

7/17/17 - Planted cylindra beets, radish and kohlrabi on both sides of the sugarbeets (side experiment) and planted paja rape, groundhog radish and some purpletops in the remainder. Constructed a 7' high Deer-x fence to keep them out of sugar beets, and beet experiment as well.

MG_7-17-17.jpg

7/23/17 - They are really starting to canopy and cover the ground and the roots are about 1/2" dia. Up to this point I did very little weeding as it was realatively weed free.

MG_7-23-17.jpg

8/9/17 - Canopy has completely taken over and they are putting on root mass. Some roots about 1 to 1-1/4" dia

MG_8-9-17.jpg

I'll update more later on, but at this point the canopy hasn't changed. Only putting on more root growth. As of yesterday 8/20/17 some had reached 2" diameter. Admittedly, the ones that are too close are not putting on near the root mass due to competition for nutrients. Sometimes you just have to see it for yourself to believe it.

MG_8-20-17.jpg 8/20/17 - The overall plot is taking shape. I also planted the brassica mix a little too heavy in my opinion. I measured seed at 5lbs/acre, but had great germination and it was too much. Next time I plant brassica in this plot it will be at a lesser rate. I wonder what kind of root mass I'll get on these being that they are pretty close? It's obvious the ones with more spacing are larger. I'll get close ups next time I go take a look.

Looks great!

That is awesome, thank you for the step by step/ week by week photos!

Nice plot. Are you in Vermont ?

Very good pictorial! Looks like a dandy plot. Congrats.

Yes, this plot is in Vermont. It's very close to my house, hence the many visits. Great for testing.

If there is any substantial root mass, I want to know how long it will last once I open up the fence. If it was 1 foot spacing, that would be about 550 sugarbeets. At 2-5 lbs a piece, I'm curious how long before they are devoured. So far I can identify at least 9 different deer, 5 unique bucks, 3 does and 1 fawn (not a very high deer density here).

I have another experimental plot going this year that is sugarbeet, corn and soybean. I'll do another post of that one at some point. It's further away so not near as many trips. Different soil there and it is doing pretty well at this point. I don't think the sugarbeets there are as happy, but I didn't do near as good a job amending the soil.

I have property in Chelsea, Orange county VT. I might have to try sugar beet's. What part of Vermont are you in?

Great looking plot. Did you get adequate rains through out the growing season for this progress to take place?

MA VT,

Good luck if you attempt next year. My hope is that it's worth the effort. Time will tell.

JFK,

Yes, funny you ask. My friend and I have been commenting all summer on how it's been great conditions for sugarbeets with all the rain we've had.

My sugar beet experiment ended when my deer leveled every plant I had. Ed Spinazola wasn't kidding when he said to protect them.

My question is will these sugar beet compete with the record Apple crop in Vermont this year.

Jer they sure seem to grow slow, it amazes me how slow they seem to grow.

My sugar beets got pounded, I need your fence Jer. Did you do a 3d fence? Scarecrow?

Attachments

• 20170728_195915.jpg
    20170728_195915.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 18
I have property in Chelsea, Orange county VT. I might have to try sugar beet's. What part of Vermont are you in?

MA Flatlander, your soil in Chelsea is Sandy loan and among some of the best I have ever planted. I had a garden in Chelsea and had amazing production. The old timers call your soil profile "Tunbridge" soil. My buddy's grandfather talked about how great that soil is.

My buddy got a soil test in Chelsea and was very surprised at how awesome the soil is. If I remember when he took his soil profile he had high organic matter and fairly decent levels of everything else. I believe the soil was on the acidic side.

Was the seed Roundup Ready? If not, what was your weed control?

My sugar beet experiment ended when my deer leveled every plant I had. Ed Spinazola wasn't kidding when he said to protect them.

My question is will these sugar beet compete with the record Apple crop in Vermont this year.

Jer they sure seem to grow slow, it amazes me how slow they seem to grow.

Phil,

Thanks again for the sugarbeet seed!

This is my first time planting them and I'm very hopeful late season will be when they become irresistible.

I used an inexpensive netting fence by deer-x, which was around $15 For a 100'x7'. I put up 3 rolls to cover all sugarbeets and cylindra beet experiment. I like the idea of the 3d fence which i think I'll use next year. My other sugarbeet plot I just used a scarecrow with rattling pie plates. It is surprising how effective it is.

Was the seed Roundup Ready? If not, what was your weed control?

Swat,

I did this experiment the old fashioned way. The seed Phil gave me was from welter seed co and is not round up ready. I planted in rows so that I could easily weed in between with a stirrup hoe
pACE-1039635reg.jpg
This tool works great, but obviously only for small areas. Shears weeds below the surface quick and easy. Took me 15 mins or so to weed in between rows. I only had to do once because this strip had brassica last year and was relatively weed free. My weed program in this plot is chemical free. I plant winter rye in spring to suppress weeds and return it to soil by July for mid July to August planting. I would love comments on how good or bad this is for the soil?

Those beets should be starting to push up out of the ground soon. :emoji_wink:

Your plot looks great!! I had a little bit of browse pressure on my sugar beets but the 1/2-2/3 acre of soybeans planted right next to them kept the browsing down to a minimum. Not sure it maters anymore after the cattle issue i have though. I still have a somewhat ok stand of beets but they look pretty rough.