All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

voles/mice

18" wide. Buy your wife a brand new shiny pair of the scissors of her choice and then confiscate her old pair, that screen cuts easily with a good pair of scissors.

Buy your wife a brand new shiny pair of the scissors of her choice and then confiscate her old pair, that screen cuts easily with a good pair of scissors.

Ok, good, now if I could cut straight. :)

Use a T-square and sharpie to mark your lines...then cut away

Thanks, i'm really not joking when I say I'm not mechanically inclined, thats why most of my ?s are stupid. LOL!

Obama-Has-a-Big-Stick.jpg

Lol, carry on boys, your a fun pack of animals to chat with.

I use wire twist ties. They aren't actual twist ties, but it's "garden wire" and comes on a big spool. I cut more screen/steel mesh than I need, and then just loosen/adjust it every time the tree gets REAL close.

Re-read what he posted...he said to staple it tight to the tree...not to the tree.
This isn't rocket science...cut a 15-18" wide strip of 3' aluminum window screen...fold it in half around the tree trunk...staple it shut using a household stapler. Run the stapler down the "seam" of the screen (from the edge and as far towards the trunk as you can) as well as vertically along the top and bottom where it meets the tree trunk as far as the stapler will reach..done

Oh my! Thanks Stu, that is what I wrote/ meant. I edited it to (tight, close to). Anyways, maybe a picture will help buckvelvet, then again............... I need a beer! :confused:

Attachments

• DSCN1853.JPG
    DSCN1853.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 22
My rootstock shows delivered, bought some sphagnum moss on my lunch hour, time to travel down this grafting endeavor.

This is how CrazyED the apple junky does it.

CameraZOOM-20130223150303872.jpg

These were for all the grafts I gave some protection last fall.

CameraZOOM-20141220140800568.jpg

CameraZOOM-20141220153313233.jpg

This is what i'm dealing with. It's pretty amazing i've actually had a few fruit.

Yes i punch a few holes right around the trunk of the tree with the plastic.

Notice my ready to be planted grafted apple tree has window screen on it BEFORE it even makes it in the planting hole.

unnamed.jpg
Crazy Ed,

Do you add any manure, compost, peat moss, etc. to your Apple tree hole? I Have sandy soil too.

Crazy Ed,

Do you add any manure, compost, peat moss, etc. to your Apple tree hole? I Have sandy soil too.

Ideally I do 2 bags of composted manure and one bag of topsoil. I put a few handfuls of pel lime in the bottom of the whole as well as a good sprinkling of watersorb. 8'x8' black plastic weed mat, 2 bags of pea gravel of top of that.

Thanks Crazy Ed.