Vine ID?

loshonhora

5 year old buck +
This is a Vine growing on an old shed I'm central Ohio. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20190608_110323760.jpg
    IMG_20190608_110323760.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20190608_110304019.jpg
    IMG_20190608_110304019.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20190608_110247366.jpg
    IMG_20190608_110247366.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 41
That is a bittersweet vine. I can't say for sure whether it's an Oriental (invasive) or American (good vine). It's really hard to tell the difference, and to complicate matters the two can hybridize. As a general rule the leaves of Oriental are broader and less than 2 times as long as wide, while American leaves will be narrower and 2 times as long as wide. The fruit capsules of Oriental are usually yellow while American are orange. Maybe you can tell which it is from that.

The Oriental is invasive because it produces more seed and is more shade tolerant. It just seems to get out of control in some places, but deer will browse the heck out of it.

Thanks! I'll watch for fruits.

That is a bittersweet vine. I can't say for sure whether it's an Oriental (invasive) or American (good vine). It's really hard to tell the difference, and to complicate matters the two can hybridize. As a general rule the leaves of Oriental are broader and less than 2 times as long as wide, while American leaves will be narrower and 2 times as long as wide. The fruit capsules of Oriental are usually yellow while American are orange. Maybe you can tell which it is from that.

The Oriental is invasive because it produces more seed and is more shade tolerant. It just seems to get out of control in some places, but deer will browse the heck out of it.
Native, is the color of very mature vine any indicator of American vs Oriental? I find bittersweet vines in my area that are sometimes a few inches in diameter and they are almost always white-ish colored. Does that help with ID?
And my deer browse it pretty well. I wish it didnt climb out of their reach.

Native, is the color of very mature vine any indicator of American vs Oriental? I find bittersweet vines in my area that are sometimes a few inches in diameter and they are almost always white-ish colored. Does that help with ID?
And my deer browse it pretty well. I wish it didnt climb out of their reach.

Tap, to the best of my knowledge it doesn't help with an ID. Along with what I posted before, I seem to remember that the color of the pollen is an indicator. I would have to do some research on that, but I think I could find it if needed.

I would also say that not every invasive species is invasive in all locations. If you are seeing just an occasional vine but they aren't just taking over, there is likely nothing to worry about.

A good example of this is bush honeysuckle. I occasionally see it in my area, but there are no infestations of it. However, if you drive 90 minutes north of me it has taken over the forest understory everywhere.

PS: Sometimes I carry a garden hoe with me when walking and will pull a vine down to the ground for the deer to much on. They take care of them quickly.

Last edited: