Rookie plot ?

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
I ran vitalize carbon load and droptine beans and greens, mainly brassica blend into new plots on my new place. The standing summer soil mix was sprayed ahead of broadcasting on August 14th, the soil was not turned at this time. We had two good rains a week apart but my seed didn't take well. I'm in Arizona so it was hard to get the help to till ahead of the plant date, farm is SE Ohio.

I have some noticeable bare spots that I'd like to get some seed on ahead of the next rain. I'm looking for a mix that would grow well and provide draw, have standing corn bordering these plots.
Any ideas?

I was looking at doubletree mix but I don't want to waste a bunch of money if some of those seeds won't do well with no ground disturbance. Seed to soil contact will take place, just no tillage.

I would put Winter Rye down . You will have better germination covering the seed a 1/2-1 inch deep, but if you can’t, just put the Rye down and walk away. If you can scratch up the bare spots with a rake to cover the seed, even better.

I use doubletree green (self) mix — for the past 4 years in SW Iowa in several plots always notill. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That said, this late in the season, I would do a mix of winter rye and oats to sow over your bare spots.

With the drought we’ve had, I’ll be overseeing most of my plots with that mix.

That said, this late in the season, I would do a mix of winter rye and oats to sow over your bare spots.

With the drought we’ve had, I’ll be overseeing most of my plots with that mix.

Since I have poor growth coverage would u run a full dose of seed? Per acre would you start 100# rye and 15# oat#, what is the per acre reccomendations for the dbtree?

I would put Winter Rye down . You will have better germination covering the seed a 1/2-1 inch deep, but if you can’t, just put the Rye down and walk away.
That said, this late in the season, I would do a mix of winter rye and oats
These ideas. ^ ^ ^ ^ My camp accidently spilled a bunch of winter rye grain on soil ---- and it germinated with nothing done to it at all. Grew nice and healthy. Rye is a no-brainer ....... and the oats are a great idea too!! Rye will be the first thing to green-up in the spring as the snow melts too - so it's good for winter-weary deer.

Reactions: cbw
You won’t get oats to grow without burying the seed.

Oats do grow no-till. If you can get it under some thatch, it will grow. On bare ground it won't do too well, but just dragging a tire drag around on bare ground will give it enough contact.

Tough dry years oats have trouble germinating. but typical northeast september, oats will come up.

Since I have poor growth coverage would u run a full dose of seed? Per acre would you start 100# rye and 15# oat#, what is the per acre reccomendations for the dbtree?

I’ll be overseeing many of my plots with about 100# WR plus 50# oats this week.

For doubletree grain mix, see below for what my mix was this year (only one plot). You can get full details on dbltree rotation at https://iowawhitetail.com/community/threads/dbltree-rotation.61793/ . Note, I do not use fertilizer.

Actual per acre:
- 10lbs mung beans
- 30 lbs soy beans
- 40 lbs oats
- 100 lbs austrian peas

I use drill this in the first part of August.

My mindset is that everything is an experiment. So if you spread some WR at 100# acre on half your plots, and do a WR+Oats mix on the other half, you can see for yourself if oats are beneficial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't know where you're located, but ...... oats will freeze out when cold weather sets in - but the rye won't. The oats will be good food up until freezing temps.