Uw madison Aldo Leopold class

I'm registered. Thanks dipper.

How do you actually get this course started? By watching the video?

Go to the Coursera website for the course and on the left sidebar there is a link that says "First Time Visiting", click there and follow the instructions.

I got the wolf question wrong on the quiz. I don't get a feel these people are evil at all. They are straight up management decisions are not easy or black and white.
I encourage the haters to register. There is a interactive forum between everyone, including the instructors. This is your chance guys, to communicate with management leaders. I get the feeling there is gonna be deer scenarios.
Please have a repectful and objective demeanor. It is extremely shallow and narrow sighted to be labeling these educators as liberal nuts. No one is going to improve with that attitude.

Good points Dipper, so far this seems like a very academic class, very similar to what I took in college. Not that any side is right or wrong but to make the student aware of all the issues and come to a conclusion based on all of the information. I've been pleased so far. It also seems to aimed at hunters, not in a derogatory sense, but as conservationists.

I have a ton of respect for Dr. Van Deelen, I have talked to him personally at the Madison Deer Classic a few times and emailed him as well, and from what I have seen so far, he is right on point and unbiased with the info that is being presented. I would have really liked to see him as the Deer Trustee, as opposed to the Texas guy, but Walker insisted on someone with no ties to the state.

I got the wolf question wrong on the quiz. I don't get a feel these people are evil at all. They are straight up management decisions are not easy or black and white.
I encourage the haters to register. There is a interactive forum between everyone, including the instructors. This is your chance guys, to communicate with management leaders. I get the feeling there is gonna be deer scenarios.
Please have a repectful and objective demeanor. It is extremely shallow and narrow sighted to be labeling these educators as liberal nuts. No one is going to improve with that attitude.
I just wanted to let you know, as one of the "haters" that you so elegantly and frequently like to call out on this site and others, that these folks are not the DNR, and they have little to nothing to do with setting DNR policy in this or any other state. They may work on research projects with representatives from the DNR and might even make recommendations to the DNR, but that is where it stops. The folks that put this class together are Professors and researchers with the University of WI. We are not dealing with representatives from the DNR during this online course. We can communicate to academic "management teachers", these folks have nothing to do with being "leaders" in our DNR. As a matter of fact, I happen to know first hand that Dr. Van Deelen is at odds with our DNR on many issues, as he and I have had conversations on this very topic at the Deer Classic. He called out everyone including Governor Walker and Dr. Kroll on the findings of the DTR Report. Don't let the fact that this is a course on land use ethic and the Wildlife Model, which just happens to lean a bit heavily towards deer and deer hunting(and only because whitetail deer are the most sought after and heavily hunted big game animal on the planet) skew the fact that these are not WI DNR representatives. Asking questions in this course is not going to get you any answers about our DNR policies or anything else related to actual on the ground management in this or any other state. These instructors may have an opinion on our DNR policies, but they are not in charge of it nor do they hold sway over it. There seems like a ton of educated folks enrolled in the course and I am looking forward to hearing the views of the folks that don't see hunters and hunting as a necessary tool for wildlife management and what other viable options they would come up with in the face of an animal overpopulation to balance the scale in a feasible social and economic fashion. I has been interesting and fun so far.

Signed up as well and completed the first week work, this will be interesting and informative in many ways. Wiscwhip - I agree we need to remember that these are indeed professors and not part of the DNR. Start reading through the discussion forums of the class - some interesting topics already forming. There is an "introduce yourself" thread and it shows the diversity of class participation.

As it's been said the haters are gonna hate, and hunters are bipolar. For those who want to expand their knowledge and grow, this is a great opportunity. Otherwise misery loves company, but that ain't living to me.

I have signed up but have just gotten started on the actual work for the week. I look for this to be an interesting class - always interesting to see the other side of the coin.

The first one worked for me. Very interesting, thanks for posting it dipper. I'll watch that second one later tonight.

So far week 1 and 2 have been very interesting.

What does everybody think so far at the half way point?

I believe in every single conspiracy hunters have that these guys are liberal wack jobs who want every single deer eliminated. It's all about the deer and nothing else....kill them all. Haha

I believe in every single conspiracy hunters have that these guys are liberal wack jobs who want every single deer eliminated. It's all about the deer and nothing else....kill them all. Haha

Put that tinfoil hat back on! Those voices are getting in! :D

Very interesting to see how the general naturalist public views things like over populated deer.
Hunters are a clear minority. The reduction of deer populations isn't going anywhere. Your seeing it everywhere. I like the eminent domain comments about killing deer on people's property without land owner consent. After reading some of the comments, our only allies is government managers. The public has no sympathy if hunters ocassionaly see deer when they hunt. To an extent they are right. Deer can be extremely destructive to the ecosystem. I've lived that, and also seen the ecosystem rebound when deer are removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will admit the course gave me reason to think more from a different perspective. Wanting more deer - may be a self-serving and yet detrimental desire from a deer hunter perspective. I'm not saying we wipe the deer out. I'm saying we need to be more open to the idea of deer numbers/habitat condition balance. The state will never be able to manage local deer populations for the most part but hunters can. The thing is that hunters need to see a need to do so AND understand how to monitor the situation. Right now I think that is a significant battle. Especially consider in many cases the hunters fund the various DNR's. I have nothing against improving deer numbers in areas that can support it, but it will take time for damaged habitat to recover - if ever in some cases. The course also gave me a reason to stop and think about the generalized public image of hunters. I live in a rural area so hunting is much more publicly accepted, but with hunters being a vast minority nation wide - we need to think about the message we are sending. Just look at some of the decals we see on trucks or messages on t-shirts or the bloody, tongue hanging out "hero" pics out there. In general hunters seem to provide a loud, in your face, go screw yourself, blood thirsty image that I for one didn't really consider myself part of, but I am sure I am being lumped together with when I call myself a hunter.

Consider "Bone Collector" brand - the name and logo both promote a dark image of death.
Consider "Rage" brand - again the name invokes something that isn't positive.

Just as some examples.

I for one intend on turning my more "in your face" hunting themed t-shirts into rags. I have always treated and transported my harvested deer with care and cover them from plain sight. I'm not hiding them, but the Soccer Mom with the kid filled mini-van behind me in the McDonalds drive thru getting breakfast on the way to the locker may not be comfortable with having to explain the sight to her kids. I have kids and although they understand, because of their exposure, it doesn't mean she is prepared to do that - and as a parent and hunter I understand that. I also try very hard to take harvest pics in a manner to minimize blood and the tongue hanging out - it just makes for a more presentable photo.

I enjoyed the course very much and I learned a great deal. This was time well spent.

Put that tinfoil hat back on! Those voices are getting in! :D
Dipper you are very lucky to live in an area with excess deer.

I suspect your attitude would be very different in the farm country of central Minnesota where I live and work.