Books

Thomasc19

A good 3 year old buck
Does anyone have any hunting/conservation books they recommend? I'm finishing up Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac and it has been one of my favorite books I've read, even if I only get to read it on the subway in manhattan :/

It has made me look at a lot of outdoor aspects in a different light, like having large predators on the landscape, our relationship to nature, farms, and wilderness, and the systems in nature

Years ago I read this one and thought it was good. Not sure it's what you're looking for though.
Death In The Tall Grass by Peter Hathaway Capstick.

Walden Pond
Anything by Hemingway
Centenial/Hawaii/Caravans- James Michener
Anything by Gordon MacQuerrie

Last edited:
Does anyone have any hunting/conservation books they recommend? I'm finishing up Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac and it has been one of my favorite books I've read, even if I only get to read it on the subway in manhattan :/

It has made me look at a lot of outdoor aspects in a different light, like having large predators on the landscape, our relationship to nature, farms, and wilderness, and the systems in nature
We used Aldo's book for our text book in one of my wildlife management classes in college. I think I may have it somewhere I am sure it would be worth reading again.

We used Aldo's book for our text book in one of my wildlife management classes in college. I think I may have it somewhere I am sure it would be worth reading again.

Same here.

Here's a 2nd vote for American Buffalo.

I'll add A Hunter's Fireside Book by Gene Hill and The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark for stories that kind of take you for a walk down memory lane.

And for books about our relationship to nature, farms and wilderness I'll recommend anything by Gene Logsdon....All Flesh in Grass, Living at Nature's Pace, The Sanctuary of Trees, and The Contrary Farmer to name just a few. He's a great naturalist, farmer, and philosopher.

Shadows on the Kuyakuk was good
I had a sample of Alaskan Wolfman on my kindle, but finished reading it before I got service to load the rest of it.

I too liked Death in the Tall Grass, Sand County Almanac, and American Buffalo

I don't agree with Rinella on everything, but he's well spoken. I liked Meat Eater too

Whitetails by Bob Sheppard. Changed my hunting for the better.

The Nature and Properties of Soils. Brady and Weil

I know...... Its not hunting

Get this right and everything else will follow

Plus ,I refuse to get " out needed" by omicron 1792 on this stuff

bill

" out nerded"

sorry

bill

Nerds unite my friend.
I will say. It’s study of one. But I have poured myself into habitat work for 5 years. And this year I had more bucks than does running around, and I have a lot of does! Build it and they will come!

Shadows on the Kuyakuk was good
I had a sample of Alaskan Wolfman on my kindle, but finished reading it before I got service to load the rest of it.

I too liked Death in the Tall Grass, Sand County Almanac, and American Buffalo

I don't agree with Rinella on everything, but he's well spoken. I liked Meat Eater too

Yea Rinella and his brother's viewpoints are really different-kind of funny to watch the two brothers go at it a bit. I found that Leopold touches on both of their stances in a Sand County Almanac-and I think I agree with both of them not in that they're right or wrong in what they disagree on but they both have valid points. If you haven't listened to that podcast episode where Steve has him on I recommend it-He can be a bit frustrating to listen to but he brings up some good points

Thank you for the recommendations guys!