Used compact tractor advise

Thanks, Dukslayr. The Kubota L3830 looks to be right in the target range of what I am looking for. NY is a long way from MO, but can see the 3830 is popular model. What I am most impressed with is that you have 2,000 hours on yours and it’s still running just fine. It’s becoming clear to me that I don’t need to be as concerned with hours, as with the tractor being well maintained and in good working order. Much appreciated.
That’s exactly right. Obviously the more hours the more wear, but without looking at the hour meter on my tractor you certainly wouldn’t know it from looking at it or operating it. What was done in those 2,000 hours is probably of more concern than the hours themselves. Most all of these hours were mowing so I’m assuming it didn’t stress the tractor much.

Keep a close eye on tractor house (I downloaded the app and searched it daily for new listings on the models I was looking at). These little tractors go quickly around here will all the smaller land owners and hobby farmers.

This may be a little to far for you to go, but I was just eyeing it up on Facebook right before clicking on this.

A8696804-170B-4833-8D45-987BEB62204A.jpeg

I’m looking to buy a new small Kubota B2650. I checked out the Deere 2025 as well but like the Kubota better and the dealer is about 40 miles closer.
They don’t seem interested in giving a better price than initially offered. I think total out the door is about 20k with FEL and a set of forks.
Do they typically have much room to budge on the small tractors new? I kept asking and they really didn’t seem like they could do any better on the price but I’ve never bought a tractor before. There are no other Kubota dealers nearby for any competition. Thoughts?

I have an old Kubota B2400 with an aftermarket FEL. I bought it used at an auction and only paid about 5K for it about 15 years ago. It had stickers on it from a rental company so it was likely used pretty hard. I'm sure it had over 1,000 hours on it when I got it. It is a great little tractor and I've run it pretty hard. I used it on food plots for a year or two, but it simply wasn't large enough for the amount of acreage I was dong. I now use it to mow the lawn which was the original purpose when I bought it. I have a belly mower for that. I only have a quarter acre to mow, but it is terraced and each hill is pretty steep. I had an old Honda 3813 that I used to mow it. It would not go up the steepest side and I had to mow it going down. The thing would go so fast that it would barely cut. The 4x4 Kubota has not trouble going up or down the steepest sections and the gearing keeps it going at the same speed regardless of grade. I use the FEL for snow removal on the driveway and street in front of my house.

My buddy has a Ford 1300 we use at the farm for the small tasks. It is a similar frame to a Kubota L series but with less HP. If that ever dies, I use the Kubota to replace it. When we build our retirement home we WON'T have a lawn!

Thanks,

Jack

I bought a brand new bobcat ct235 when the bobcat dealer in Wisconsin was blowing them out 6 years ago. I looked at John Deere and Kubota. The bobcat is just more tractor. Heavier built and the thing is a beast. With my loader it weighs in at around 3800#. The extra weight is a huge benefit.

If you can find a used one take a look. The Kioti brand is the same tractor so take a look. The reality is most of these tractors are made at a few Korean factories.

*corrected per rock

Last edited:
I bought a brand new bobcat ct235 when the bobcat dealer in Wisconsin was blowing them out 6 years ago. I looked at John Deere and Kubota. The bobcat is just more tractor. Heavier built and the thing is a beast. With my loader it weighs in at around 3800#. The extra weight is a huge benefit.

If you can find a used one take a look. The Kioti brand is the same tractor so take a look. The reality is most of these tractors are made at a few Japanese factories.

Pretty sure Kioti is a South Korean brand so made there. I don't think that is a problem, I would include them in the mix to review if I had a dealer nearby.

Pretty sure Kioti is a South Korean brand so made there. I don't think that is a problem, I would include them in the mix to review if I had a dealer nearby.

Yup you are correct. Brain fart. Daedong As I recall.

I ended up with a Kioti DK45 4x4 because of the weight compared to the competing Kubota for my larger tractor.

I’m looking to buy a new small Kubota B2650. I checked out the Deere 2025 as well but like the Kubota better and the dealer is about 40 miles closer.
They don’t seem interested in giving a better price than initially offered. I think total out the door is about 20k with FEL and a set of forks.
Do they typically have much room to budge on the small tractors new? I kept asking and they really didn’t seem like they could do any better on the price but I’ve never bought a tractor before. There are no other Kubota dealers nearby for any competition. Thoughts?
I would shop dealers online and see if they are willing to price match. I found a dealer in AR that sells a boat load of tractors and offers free shipping to your farm. I got a quote for similar specs and used that as leverage at my local dealership. Having another quote or two definitely won’t hurt you. It ended up getting me the tractor for cheaper and added in some extras to help me sell my current tractor to keep me buying local. I wanted to buy from the local dealer all along but wanted to have multiple quotes to make sure I was getting the best deal possible. With dealers spread out so far I got the feeling they didn’t “need” to drop their price off the original quote. It was a different story when I had another quote or two in my hand...all of a sudden the pencil got a little sharper and the extra incentives started showing up.

I've owned the 3038e. Very nice light duty machine. That said, lift capacity was suspect, even with fluid. I wouldn't buy any of the machines under consideration without fluid filled tires. You will find that it won't take long before
you wish you had a little more tractor. I'd echo the advice of renting a few over the season to get an idea of what you need. Try a 30ish HP class machine, and compare to a 60-90 HP machine. You'd be surprised what you can find affordably when you get out of the consumer line of tractors. Over the last 7 years, and 3 tractors later, my 3038e has turned into a 5090e, being delivered in April. It's sort of a sickness :)

Thanks for the info.
Tires will be fluid filled. My intentions are to use it on a property for trail maintenance mostly as well as some lighter work. I don’t have any fields to work so I don’t need a lot of power to run bigger implements.
I’ll probably look back at this post and laugh in five years when I’m buying a bigger tractor but for now I think the 26hp will be plenty big enough for what I need it for

Well gentlemen, I took all the advice offered here and ended up buying this John Deere 3033R with 300 hours. It set me back 17k, but I feel that is a fair price. I am grateful for your thoughts and opinions, all of which help in my selection process. The tractor works fine, but the driver is still a little clumsy at the controls - to put it mildly!

04-04 John Deere 3033R.jpg

Nice little tractor!

Well gentlemen, I took all the advice offered here and ended up buying this John Deere 3033R with 300 hours. It set me back 17k, but I feel that is a fair price. I am grateful for your thoughts and opinions, all of which help in my selection process. The tractor works fine, but the driver is still a little clumsy at the controls - to put it mildly!

View attachment 23529
Congrats, should last you for awhile.