All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Understanding Pollenizers?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
(Had to google to find the right use of that word)

Can a siberian crab serve as a pollenizer for a grafted apple tree as long as their bloom periods overlap? Or do I have to go get some Dolgo?

Thanks. I was just trying to figure if I needed more crabapples now, or if I can plan to start putting in some big trees.

Thanks. I was just trying to figure if I needed more crabapples now, or if I can plan to start putting in some big trees.

If you talk to Sandbur he will always tell you that more crabapples are needed. :)

Personally, I think any "apple guy" should at least have a whitney, chestnut, and dolgo crab :D

Many, many others out there that are probably worth growing/having too, but those 3 are kind of "pre-reqs"

Whitney is a tough one to track down.

As of 5-15-2014 Stark Bros. is advertising a Whitney crab ON SALE for $14.99 - down from $22.99. It says semi-dwarf - don't know the rootstock.

Grafted or scions Ed? I should (hopefully) be able to get you a Whitney scion next year if you want. I had a chestnut crab coming this year from Stark Bros. but they couldn't fill the order. I'll be looking for one locally now.

I could never find one on B.118 rootstock so I grafted my own May 2013 and planted it out on our farm about a month ago. :)

SD, I've got several Siberians around the orchards for just that purpose. They stay open for quite a while.

SD, I've got several Siberians around the orchards for just that purpose. They stay open for quite a while.
I have 25 coming today or tomorrow from cold stream!