Understanding Pollenizers?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
(Had to google to find the right use of that word)

Can a siberian crab serve as a pollenizer for a grafted apple tree as long as their bloom periods overlap? Or do I have to go get some Dolgo?

Thanks. I was just trying to figure if I needed more crabapples now, or if I can plan to start putting in some big trees.

Thanks. I was just trying to figure if I needed more crabapples now, or if I can plan to start putting in some big trees.

If you talk to Sandbur he will always tell you that more crabapples are needed. :)

Personally, I think any "apple guy" should at least have a whitney, chestnut, and dolgo crab :D

Many, many others out there that are probably worth growing/having too, but those 3 are kind of "pre-reqs"

Whitney is a tough one to track down.

As of 5-15-2014 Stark Bros. is advertising a Whitney crab ON SALE for $14.99 - down from $22.99. It says semi-dwarf - don't know the rootstock.

Grafted or scions Ed? I should (hopefully) be able to get you a Whitney scion next year if you want. I had a chestnut crab coming this year from Stark Bros. but they couldn't fill the order. I'll be looking for one locally now.

I could never find one on B.118 rootstock so I grafted my own May 2013 and planted it out on our farm about a month ago. :)

SD, I've got several Siberians around the orchards for just that purpose. They stay open for quite a while.

SD, I've got several Siberians around the orchards for just that purpose. They stay open for quite a while.
I have 25 coming today or tomorrow from cold stream!