Uncatagorized.....things we see....

Are you near a battlefield? Start by measuring the ball. It should be about .45” (revolver), or 69” (musket ball). Many a union soldier cast balls for their .58 cal rifles once the government issued bullets ran out. I used to collect civil war artifacts, and it looks right…just remember it could be any lead ball from the 1850s to 2000s. I’ve dropped many a lead ball when loading. And, when target shooting, those balls have to end up somewhere. This one may have ended up by where you were walking!

While going to a civil war forum is a good idea, there really is no way of knowing for sure.

Cool find that is very unlikely a rock!
Crudely measuring (not with calipers) looks close to .69".

Reactions: 356
Crudely measuring (not with calipers) looks close to .69".
That would be a musket ball sized round, a common civil-war era (and reproduction) projectile. They generally have a weight of 400-410 grains. These were used from the 1840s to 1880s regularly. The size works—if the weight matches, you know it is a round and not a rock. One of my colleagues recently found several .45 caliber balls at one of our senior care campuses that was built upon a civil war battle site near Pilot Knob, Missouri. This is the same campus that I recently found several letters from Harry S Truman and his wife Bess to their best friends who were residents at the campus. Below is just one of several letters—some typed and some shorter handwritten notes. There are still fun finds out there!

IMG_0710.jpeg

The most relevant quote from the article IMO, “The biologists didn’t want to be conducting a depopulation any more than Williams (the deer breeder) wanted them on his property,” Cain said. “You didn’t become a wildlife biologist to do this,” Cain said. “None of them want to be here.”

And that is how you eliminate your competition for hunter's dollars. Kinda like letting a fox guard your hen house. Ever wonder why there is no uproar over EHD which kills way more deer than CWD? Follow the money.

A guy with a tree service company called me last night and asked if he could access the power line on the south side of my land by driving down my trail. They plan to de-limb any trees that might interfere with the power lines. I was not crazy about the idea.....but I am letting him do it. He will mess up one food plot......but I plan to nuke it and start over anyway.....as its full of weeds and not looking too goo. Today he parked his machine at my gate and plans to go in on Monday. This would be a nice rig to de-limb trails. I think the boom telescopes to about 3x shown here.
tempImageFsdB0x.jpgtempImageAz5Yc2.jpgtempImageFbAvyI.jpg

This is not something I "saw" but rather something I learned today......and thought I should pass it along. Was using my new Master 50 gallon UTV sprayer today to spot spray a bunch of thistle and mullen that I get each year. Thing were going along well....and then I noticed the pump was getting slow to prime and finally would not prime at all. Checked hoses and the filter.....and all was good. Called to Master Mfg and almost immediately I got a tech on the other end of the line. Described the issue and she said to look for an air leak (did that) and then if I could get the intake hose from the tank........to hook up a garden hose to it......and pressure flush the pump with water. If I still had a problem to call back. Pushed the garden hose connection into the intake hose and turned on the pump and water supply. Bingo! Pumped again like a dream. Evidently a piece of plastic from manufacturing or maybe my well grit fouled the pump.

Thought this could be a solution for someone else.

Lot of weight hanging on that transom
And WAY more than looks practical for a boat that sized.

I run a 22' Panga in the gulf near my place in Florida out as far as 20 miles offshore (or at least used to regularly before I got too busy), and only have a single 90hp on it. I get speeds up to 35mph out of my setup. Funny thing is I likely average speeds of only 25 out of it because sloppy/choppy days seem much more common than glass smooth ones. Some glass flat days I wish I had 2 motors to feel safer running out a bit farther, but can't imagine wanting more than 2 due due to fuel, engine maintenance, etc costs.

Surely tough to shallow water fish out of that boat too. Some days have pulled right up to oyster bars with mine while fishing for shallow redfish. Old photo from photobucket days, but can see how close we anchored up to oysters. RobbinsDayEnd.jpg

Last edited:
There are lots of Pontoon boats on our lake that have twin 400 HP Mercury engines on em. I think they are now up to 500 hp in a single engine. I have a 250 HP on my 25' tri-toon and it will run about 35 mph. Plenty fast in such a craft on most days. The extra HP certainly gives a diminishing return. That many engines is just nonsense.

Gotta say tho....these new Mercury Verado engines are pretty stingy on gas consumption. Sure they will drink some fuel if you are constantly running hard like tubing or skiing. But for the most part the fuel consumption is nothing like the "old" engines.

The crazy thing is he was headed north up 75 a long way from the ocean.

A guy with a tree service company called me last night and asked if he could access the power line on the south side of my land by driving down my trail. They plan to de-limb any trees that might interfere with the power lines. I was not crazy about the idea.....but I am letting him do it. He will mess up one food plot......but I plan to nuke it and start over anyway.....as its full of weeds and not looking too goo. Today he parked his machine at my gate and plans to go in on Monday. This would be a nice rig to de-limb trails. I think the boom telescopes to about 3x shown here.
View attachment 65787View attachment 65788View attachment 65789
Keep an eye on them if you can. The local power company is required to keep limbs clear for the line down to my camp. The last time they did it I asked them not to spray, they sprayed. They cut down a wild chestnut tree I had marked from a previous timbering to keep. It was marked with a blue ribbon while everything they were cutting was marked with orange. They didn't want to take the chipper down my driveway. I said that's fine they didn't need to chip anything anyway. They took it down and got stuck and tore the yard of my camp all up and left ruts everywhere.

IMG_1028.jpegIMG_1050.jpegIMG_2733.jpegIMG_2729.jpegIMG_0567.png
In a past life I was petty into skiing. I lived out west and would go backcountry cat skiing in British Columbia every year. I’ve seen a lot of mountains, but the mountain of BC are just different.

Last edited:
I did a bit of backcountry stuff too in my youth. This is a trip to the peak of Snæfellsjökull in Iceland in the 90s. This was a Summer glacier trek.

f58bed06eea4f2a9d253c33633a63223.jpeg

2c14fe5e8051b3cd8e5d0deac2ae4152.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk